• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hang During Import (dynamiclinkmediaserver)

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic 9.2 on my Mac (MacOS 10.13).

While importing movies taken with my iPhone, I've noticed that Lightroom often hangs while generating the thumbnails. By "hang," I mean that I can step away for hours and then come back to see that the thumbnails are still blank. If I attempt to continue with the import by clicking "Import," the software says "Importing files..." and stays this way until I force quit with activity monitor. Both the source and destination are located on my internal HD. I've modified the Lightroom preferences to DISABLE "Generate Previews in parallel."

After killing Lightroom,  I will get a window titled Import Results and the message "An unknown error has occurred while reading the video file..."

After import failure, I use Activity Monitor to examine "Open Files and Ports" for dynamiclinkmediaserver (DLMS) and can observe that DLMS has an open file handle to one particular media file--even after I've killed Lightroom.  I can also see under "Statistics" that none of the primary stats (Threads, System Calls, etc) are changing--another sign that DLMS has hung.

Through a process of elimination, I've determined the DLMS seems to choke on Quicktime movie files (*.MOV) which are shorter than 300 kB. I'm attaching one such file (IMG_0484.MOV, 204 kB) which reliably hangs Lightroom during import.

I would appreciate if you took a look and get back to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You file imported without issues on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro both of which are running Catalina 10.15.3. However, I note that your movie has a duration of zero seconds (i.e. it's still image). I recalled that a similar issue was reported about a year back in this thread https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-cc-chokes-on-importing-vide... I'm not sure that it provides a solution though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The link you provided seems to be exactly the same issue as mine (short videos cause dynamiclinkmediaserver to choke). It doesn't provide a solution, however.

My solution is to manually scan through my video files prior to import and delete videos shorter than 500 kB. I feel this really shouldn't be necessary, however!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll keep an eye out for short videos and try rename them before i try import as a test i'll report back based on one example far that helped a lot. but I'll need to see it work a few times more before i'm confident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, but not always with short video files , and with videos from various cameras.

Originally I assumed it was all HEVC files that are not supported in windows but it shouldn't take 10-20mins to timeout on a file it can't open. So i suspect a probelm elsewhere.  Right now i'm sitting waiting for an import i know will fail and when i goto bed and wake up i'll have the error saying files are not supported etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines