Highlighted

Hard Drive Crash Help!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just had an external hard drive fail, and the data is unrecoverable. I had imported RAW files, converted to DNG, and saved the DNG on that drive. I then completed editing in Lightroom Classic and exported to the same drive. So, I have lost the DNGs and the final edited files, but I still have the RAW files. 

Is it possible to convert the RAW to DNG and than relink the DNGs to the Lightroom images without losing the edits?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hard Drive Crash Help!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just had an external hard drive fail, and the data is unrecoverable. I had imported RAW files, converted to DNG, and saved the DNG on that drive. I then completed editing in Lightroom Classic and exported to the same drive. So, I have lost the DNGs and the final edited files, but I still have the RAW files. 

Is it possible to convert the RAW to DNG and than relink the DNGs to the Lightroom images without losing the edits?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can convert the raw files to DNG again and link them to the catalog. How easy/hard this is will depend on how you organized your DNG files on disk. Assuming a date-based folder structure:

Convert the raw files to DNG in the needed folder structure:

- open LR

- create a new catalog (will be discarded later) - give it a name like "temporary"

- do a "copy as DNG" import pointing the source to your raw files, destination to someplace reasonable.

- close LR when the import is finished.

Connect the new DNGs to the old catalog.

- open LR

- open the old master catalog

- in the Library, Folders panel, verify that the folders are marked as missing "?"

- right-click on a upper level folder that got recreated during the new import.

- select "find missing folder", navigate to the new folder location.

Repeat as needed

- close LR

After you verify that the master catalog has the files linked to their new location, you can delete the "temporary" catalog and its supporting folders.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! And this will keep the Lightroom edits? I thought the edits were burned into the DNGs. This process won't revert the Lightroom edits, correct?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the edits were burned into the DNGs. This process won't revert the Lightroom edits, correct?

Incorrect.

If your catalog is still intact and undamaged, and you connect the photos as described above, your edits will be applied. Lightroom stores the edits in the catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your very first post you state that the DNG files were lost. Your only hope is to find and recover your Catalog file.

If this is not possible then you need to reconsider your Lightroom strategy and start over from scratch using your original raw files.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS 11.0: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0.1,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0