• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard drive size error - import from Aperture plug in

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import from Aperture but on the very first screen, I am told to select the Aperture library and also the Lightroom catalogue. 

Lightroom insists that the available space on me hardrive is only 166gb when there are over 600gb free. As a result it will not allow be to continue with the import. I have rebooted my Mac and updated to the latest version of Lightroom. No luck. 

I've tried to contact support but they say they are "looking into it" then close the conversation without an answer. I've given up trying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Thanks all. The solution was to run first aid and then repair the drive. Lightroom can now see the entire free space.

Import has just commenced... fingers firmly crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a sytem in Time Machine that create temp backup files that take up space but are not recorded as doing so. Other programs see these files where Finder does not report them. Making you think you have tons of drive space available when in reality you don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I’ve a 1 TB hard drive. There are hardly any programs on my Mac. I’ve putged all back up files or moved them to an external drive. I deleted an old Aperture vault that was 220gb but still Lightroom says there’s no space. It’s plainly Lightroom that has the problem. This Mac is just to be used for photos. There’s easily two thirds of this drive free. Lightroom will not accept that though.

K

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't updated to Catalina yet and so you can still use Aperture, then do the following. Select all images in Aperture (make sure you expand all stacks first), then use 'Relocate Original' to move the images out of the library into normal folders. If you then use the Lightroom plugin, it doesn't need all that space because it does not have to create copies of the images.

If you did upgrade to Catalina so Aperture no longer runs, then you could try to use 'Retroactive' to get it to run.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean I only get to keep orginals and lose all the versions? There are years of work in the versions. I was hoping to keep the file structure and the originals and versions together. Importing them separately will be a disaster.

I have an almost empty hard drive. I just don't understand why Lightroom can only see less than a third of the empty space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Versions are virtual copies, kept inside the library. You do not lose them by moving the originals out of the library.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all. The solution was to run first aid and then repair the drive. Lightroom can now see the entire free space.

Import has just commenced... fingers firmly crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines