• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Colours change when downloading or exporting images

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! When I export a photograph from Lightroom, or even download a photo that has been sent to me, at some point during the exporting/downloading process the colours become cooler and it's particularly noticeable on skintones.  I've attached an example. On the right is what I have been sent, and on the left is what it changes to when I download. 

Is anyone able to help with why this might be? I calibrate my monitor so it should be consistent.  Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, but do you actually manage your colors? Just calibrating your screen could still be totally meaningless if your color proof settings are not set accordingly. Conversely, since you speak of "downloading", your images would presumably not be tweaked or tagged to a specific color profile to begin with and you may need to figure that into the equation. Of course they will then look completely different in an unmanaged environment outside PS vs. inside the program.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mylenium,

What you're saying definitely makes sense and I need to check this. Where would I start with managing my colours, as it's quite possible that my colour proof settings aren't set accordingly. This appears to be a new problem for me, but I could have changed something without realising. Thank you for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always embed the color profile when you save. Always check whether a profile is embedded when you receive a file. An untagged file (one without a color profile) displays arbitrarily depending on circumstances. The profile removes this uncertainty.

Always view the image in a color managed application. Photoshop and Lightroom are, and they will use both the document profile and your monitor profile to display the file correctly. Other applications without color management, like e.g. Windows "Photos" or most consumer-oriented photo viewers, will not display correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

So when I export my edited image from Lightroom as a high res jpg then view it through my laptop, it's much greyer. If I then print this image, it also has the greyer colours rather than my edits in Lightroom. It basically looks like it's uncalibrated, though it is. I always make sure that the colour space is SRGB when I export.  Is there any way to avoid this, or do I just need to overcompensate in LR? It feels like all my editing work is wasted 😞 

How can I check if a profile is embedded when I receive a file? 

Thanks again - I appreciate the response 🙂

And  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines