Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! External Hard Drive Lightroom Catalogue not recognized on Mac desktop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just bought a Mac desktop. I downloaded Ligthroom CC and trying to open my External Hard Drive Lightroom Catalogue (that I have been using on my Windows Desktop and laptop). Once I try to open the catalogue the message below appears: 

"Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which Lightroom cannot save changes.

The catalog's location is /Volumes/George's External 5TB/George/George's Lightroom External 5TB/George's Lightroom External 5TB.lrcat."

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best, 

George

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make the drive writeable in your Mac operating system. OR move the catalog file to the internal drive of your Mac somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing your images on your hard drive is the easiest because you already have "write" permissions on that drive, but this may not be the best place to put your images.

If you have very few images and do not expect to have all that many in the future you should be OK. As the images increase, you will eventually start using up all of your free space on your hard drive making it more difficult to run applications. They use the unused space to do many of their operations. By placing your images, which eventually consume a lot of space, on an external drive, that will not be an issue. It's also a good idea to get a significantly larger hard drive than you need because you will fill that drive in time.

I also recommend to get a 2nd drive of equal size so that you can backup Drive #1 to Drive #2 fairly often because, like it or not, drives fail. As long as you backup reasonably often, you will not be affected much at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your MACOS is Catalina, see:

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Pay attention to the part on Files and Folders. Typically a problem caused by not clicking on yes when asked about  Removable Volumes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines