• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering will not rotate per "same as previous" option.

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  Every time I tether to Lightroom, if I am shooting with my camera facing straight down (for tabletop food shots) the images absolutely will not come in with the correct rotation & they seem to rotate randomly from one shot to the next with zero camera movement.  That would be just about fine if Lightroom would allow me to apply the correct rotation and then apply it to each new shot per the "same as previous" option.  It seems to apply every other LR adjustment except for rotation.  I have tried this with my camera set to "auto-rotate" on as well as off and I have tried it where that is to camera, camera and computer and computer alone.  None of these methods solve the problem.   Any solve to this is incredibly appreicated because I am stumped!! 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost certainly, if this is going to remain a frequent problem, you can turn off image auto-rotation in the camera menu.

In LR, to change rotation for multiple images together, highlight them (in Filmstrip or in Grid view). Click the little switch next to Sync. This puts LR into AutoSync mode, whereby any new change (such as clicking the clockwise rotate button) will get applied to them all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Richard!  I know how to batch rotate but are you saying it will also rotate new images as they come from the camera? That is what I'm hoping for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue as I understand it, was unwanted rotation: the camera's orientation sensor applying different rotations from shot to shot, arbitrarily, when pointed more or less straight down. No camera can reliably guess what you want for rotation, in such circumstances - the same, when pointed more or less straight up. That common in rostrum copying, scientific work, etc. My suggestion was to set the camera, in such cases, to ignore whatever its orientation sensor might be reporting. Then all photos show the same consistent orientation natively.

The convenience cost of setting the camera this way, is that when you point the camera sideways, photos taken in portrait orientation will not automatically appear the way round. Everything's natively left as the camera took it. So you would then need to turn all the portrait shots the right way round yourself, e.g. after import to LR.

There may be a user custom mode (C1, C2..) which can be set without auto orientation, and then used just for these special circumstances.

Or (simplest) use Auto Sync to turn shots in the batch as needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,  Thank you again for trying to help.  I probably explained myself badly, or I'm just not understanding, but my original post I tried to explain that I've tried all of these manual overrides (forcing auto rotation off etc...) and for some reason no matter what I do, the photos will not rotate per the previous shot, despite the fact that it will apply all other settings from the previous shot.  I just wish they'd iron out the kink that it does not apply rotation along with all of those other settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestions were so as to work around the "as Previous" function as-designed. It apparently isn't meant to do what you want.

Clearly Adobe considers most users tend to process the tonality, colour etc of one photo and then want to repeat those sorts of things onto the next - using Previous - distinct from one being incidentally portrait and the other landscape oriented. Most of the time, photos do arrive with each one oriented suitably right out of the camera, and one would not want to disturb that without good reason.

If you wish you can suggest this to be changed, as a Feature Request, but how you describe it working now seems reasonable to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I agree and I will defintely submit it as a Feature Request!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this issue?  I was shooting last week no problem, yesterday the camera was swiching orientation of the photos, the camera is facing down leveled wirg a real bubble level. Not sue what happened in the few days i did not shoot.

Joe Cosentino

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply to your other post for a workaround: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/feature-request-lightroom-classic/m-p/10923950#M176...

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you John!  I clicked the link but it appears to be addressing batch rotation which I haven't had an issue with.  I'm trying to find a way to automatically apply rotation while tethering per the "same as previous " setting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Crop doesn't solve the particular issue with "same as previous" not copying the rotation but it could provide a better workaround. You described the issue as "the images ... absolutely will not come in with the correct rotation & they seem to rotate randomly from one shot."  While you can use Auto-Sync to batch correct the session, that's fussy, since you have to select just those photos that are rotated and rotate them back.  Any Crop can make that correction faster -- just select all the photos in the session (whether they're correctly rotated or not) and do Set Rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you should definitely submit a feature request. LR is a little schizoid about whether the rotation and flip commands are "develop settings". They get Auto-Synced, but they aren't copied by Copy Settings/Sync, they can't be set by presets, and they don't show up in the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I submit a feature request?  I'm in LR now, went tot he help tab and I don't see any way to do it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the similar issue. while shooting tethered flatlay images come as horizontal where i need them vertical. i cant make "same as previous" to copy the rotation. i need to rotate 90 CCW after every shot manually which is very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these years later I'm still having the same problem.  It is crazy to me that it's not resolved yet.  It makes no sense that the "same as previous" ignores crop and rotation which at least would be a workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absolutely crazy to me how they don't fix it... this is one of the main reasons I am considering switching to CaptureOne. I had a client on the shoot constantly tilting his head side ways to see the photo and then waiting for me to manually batch rotate them each time.... so annoying and so time consuming .... why can't i just set up a rotation once and the "same as previous" take care of the rest of the images coming in right rotation?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This too is killing me right now. Just let rotation be part of the "same as previous" setttings when shooting tethered. Then I can turn off auto rotation in camera and just have lightroom take are of it. It's currently randomly rotating some images and not others even though the camera is locked off on a very heavy stand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since nobody was able to properly answer your question since you first asked 3 years ago,  I thought I would chime in with a solution that works. Set up your camera as you would for the top-down/birds eye shot. Take a photo. It will come into lightroom as a horizontal photo. Then, rotate your camera so you're almost taking a photo of the wall, and snap another pic. It will come into lightroom as a vertical. Resposition your camera for the top down shot you had originally and take a photo. Bam, all following photos will now be in vertical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines