Highlighted

Help Please! Lightroom lost link to photos. Can relink them individually but not together.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so this is a really strange issue with some history. 

I have my catalog and photos stored on a portable drive.  I use it at home (PC) and at school (Mac).  The school has about a year old version of Lightroom Classic.  Whenever I open them at school, all photos show the "photo missing" exclamation mark.  I redirect them to the folder again either by updating folder location or usually by clicking on one of the exclamation marks, hitting find missing photo, and then checking the checkbox to find nearby photos.  This works and relinks all photos that are contanied within the same folder on the external hard drive.

Then when I get back home, I have to do the same thing all over again, as my PC no longer sees the link to whatever photos I successfully accessed from the school computer.

This time however, when I returned home and tried to relink the photos on my PC, it is only seeing the one photo I click the exclamation mark on, and not finding nearby photos.  So my only option is to click each individual photo and relink them, for over 750 photos. 

Has anyone else come across this issue and found a solution?  I've tried updating the folder location. I've tried restarting Lightroom, optimizing the catalog, and restarting the computer.     

Thank you for reading! 

Edit:  I think I got it to finally find the photos.  I just kept renaming the folder outside of Lightroom and pointing it back to it until it just decided to work.  Any idea how to prevent this in the future?  I didn't always have this problem with the external drive but it's all the time now.  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JohanElzenga | Adobe Community Professional

The problem is that Macs use a disk name and Windows uses a drive letter. Because Lightroom uses a 'path' to the images like this Disk/Folder/Image, you will always see missing images when you switch between Mac and Windows. Changing drive letters on your PC won't help.

Do not try to 'reconnect' individual images. Go to the folder panel and you will see that the folders are also missing. Reconnect the top folder as described in the link that Wobert gave you. All subfolders and all images in those folders will be reconnected all at once.

Topics

Bug, How to, Mac, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help Please! Lightroom lost link to photos. Can relink them individually but not together.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so this is a really strange issue with some history. 

I have my catalog and photos stored on a portable drive.  I use it at home (PC) and at school (Mac).  The school has about a year old version of Lightroom Classic.  Whenever I open them at school, all photos show the "photo missing" exclamation mark.  I redirect them to the folder again either by updating folder location or usually by clicking on one of the exclamation marks, hitting find missing photo, and then checking the checkbox to find nearby photos.  This works and relinks all photos that are contanied within the same folder on the external hard drive.

Then when I get back home, I have to do the same thing all over again, as my PC no longer sees the link to whatever photos I successfully accessed from the school computer.

This time however, when I returned home and tried to relink the photos on my PC, it is only seeing the one photo I click the exclamation mark on, and not finding nearby photos.  So my only option is to click each individual photo and relink them, for over 750 photos. 

Has anyone else come across this issue and found a solution?  I've tried updating the folder location. I've tried restarting Lightroom, optimizing the catalog, and restarting the computer.     

Thank you for reading! 

Edit:  I think I got it to finally find the photos.  I just kept renaming the folder outside of Lightroom and pointing it back to it until it just decided to work.  Any idea how to prevent this in the future?  I didn't always have this problem with the external drive but it's all the time now.  

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JohanElzenga | Adobe Community Professional

The problem is that Macs use a disk name and Windows uses a drive letter. Because Lightroom uses a 'path' to the images like this Disk/Folder/Image, you will always see missing images when you switch between Mac and Windows. Changing drive letters on your PC won't help.

Do not try to 'reconnect' individual images. Go to the folder panel and you will see that the folders are also missing. Reconnect the top folder as described in the link that Wobert gave you. All subfolders and all images in those folders will be reconnected all at once.

Topics

Bug, How to, Mac, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer that would be best is to rename your external drive. Give it a 'Letter' name that is nearer the end of the alphabet (eg.  P:  or S: )

The next step would be to re-link the Folders to the new name for the Drive. (See last link below)

Your Catalog will then always reference the files on a P: drive no matter which PC it is connected to.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-loses-photo-location-after-drive-letter-chang...

And read here the method to re-link folders- See Step#4 in particular-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.2.1, Lightroom 3.2, Photoshop 2020 (21.1.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one permanent solution, although I have seen mixed messages about how well it works:

If you store the images inside (a folder in) the catalog folder, then Lightroom will use a 'relative link'. Such a link refers to the catalog folder, and so it does not contain a disk name or a drive letter. As a result, you should not see missing images when you switch from Mac to PC or vice versa.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines