Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High CPU usage in Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just got a brand new Macbook Pro 16" and I want to address the fact that when simply scrolling through images in the Library module, the CPU load is ramping up alot. 

I'm running

* Catalina (10.5.2), Macbook Pro 16" i9 2.3GHz, 5500M 8gb, 32gb RAM.

* Lightroom Classic 9.1

high-cpu-lightroom.png

This is after 2 minutes of opening the app and beginning scrolling.

Now I'd like to know if other people are experiencing this or do I have a faulty machine or something?

--Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Hitting the space-bar zooms into 1:1, which in turn needs a 1:1 preview in order to show the image fully rendered. If a 1:1 preview doesn't already exist Lightroom will automatically start to generate one, which impacts the CPU load. So what you describe is not unexpected, and I can easily recreate the scenario. The high CPU activity should only last for a few seconds while the 1:1 preview building completes (if you just leave Lightroom alone for a few seconds, no need to tab away, the CPU load

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried toggling off the GPU processor  in  the  Preferences tab just to see what the usage is? You shouldn't have to do that but wondering if it makes a difference at all?

You may not be able to toggle that now that I've rechecked my preferences - however what are your Camera Raw Cache Settings set to? With the new MBP you may be able to bump that up  quite a bit - if it's at 10GB try 70GB and then read the CPU load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions.

However, neither disabling the GPU nor increasing cache had a possitive impact.

To reproduce, simply go into Library module -> hit space to bring up a larger preview of the file -> flag photos (I am mainly flagging for removal)

After about 10-15 images, the CPU has gone mad at 780%. If I tab out of Lightroom it stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting the space-bar zooms into 1:1, which in turn needs a 1:1 preview in order to show the image fully rendered. If a 1:1 preview doesn't already exist Lightroom will automatically start to generate one, which impacts the CPU load. So what you describe is not unexpected, and I can easily recreate the scenario. The high CPU activity should only last for a few seconds while the 1:1 preview building completes (if you just leave Lightroom alone for a few seconds, no need to tab away, the CPU load should drop significantly).

You can avoid this by either building 1:1 previews in advance, e.g. during Import, or alternatively use the Embedded Preview option during import (depending on the camera, that embedded preview may already be full resolution, so no 1:1 preview building would be needed at that time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for clarifing this, it's indeed the "issue". I was importing using the "Embedded & sidecar" preset, whereas before I've been using Standard Previews. Since I am using Fuji RAW, my understanding is that those files doesn't support full size embedded previews, hence the need for processing them while in 1:1 mode.

I'm glad I got this insight, thank you for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you selecting when you  import  for  previews? If you are choosing anything other  than 1:1 and it's a new image Lr will create a 1:1 preview when you zoom. To  test this import  a new  image and  create 1:1 preview when you  import or in Preferences select use Smart Preview when editing and check your activity monitor cpu usage again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CPU is fine while importing 1:1 previews,

Thank you for taking the time to help me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines