Exit

High CPU usage with LR - Battery out in 2h

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with the CPU.

Config :MBP 13" Touch Bar purchased in May 2019 (config: 2018 / 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB / 512 GB / Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655)

As soon as I start working on LR the CPU goes crazy, the fans run at full speed and the battery drops 2% by 2%. It also loses some very quickly when I run tasks that are not supposed to eat so many resources (accounting, word processing, file transfer).
With LR I can work for 2 hours max and without 4 hours only.
At first I thought there was a problem because of the Catalina/Lightroom compatibility because it happened at the same time as the MAJ to Catalina. I found a few topics on the community that seemed identical to my problem, but despite trying different protocols (uninstalling/re-installing/re-installing/version downgrading/ and notably firing CEPHTLMEngine) it never changed anything. I spent hours by phone with Adobe and Apple's consultants who made me do every possible and imaginable manipulation (remove the OS/re-install it several times and in every direction/disk format) and the problem still persists.

The motherboard and battery have been changed. The Apple tests seem ok. I downgraded to Mojave convinced that Catalina was the problem, but no, still the same.

For me it's a hardware problem, but until the tests confirm it, Apple doesn't want to change the machine

You will find screenshots of the activity monitor when fans are running with about 500% cpu usage... 

Thank you 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What actions in Lightroom Classic cause this high CPU usage? Please be specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I mainly use LR for HDR merging (with ctrl + H and 3 images max) and basic settings (colorimetry, image straightening) but no matter what I do, fans are running at full speed , battery drops and CPU usage increases. It's between 250/300% for everything basic and around 500/600% when I use the merge tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are asking Lightroom Classic to perform tasks that are computationally intensive, the computer has to use large amounts of CPU resources, generating a lot of heat, causing the fans to run.

I consider this to be the expected result from asking Lightroom Classic to perform computationally intensive tasks. I consider this to be nothing "wrong" (even though you may not like it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand perfectly, only even when I don't do intensive work, the CPU gets carried away and the battery drops.
It's weird to have only 2 hours on battery with Lightroom isn't it? And especially that it drops 2% by 2%?

From everything I've read about LR users, and comparing with colleagues who work in the same way as I do, everyone agrees that 2 hours is still very light. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It's weird to have only 2 hours on battery with Lightroom isn't it?"

Apparently not. Your hardware is telling you how it performs when using Lightroom Classic, and you are ignoring what it is telling you.

You are asking the computer to do computationally intensive tasks. Depending on many factors, even plain editing in Lightroom Classic can be computationally intensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines