Highlighted

Highlighting JPG vs. (all other) formats

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community. I think I have an easy work-flow question. My attempts to find solutions / tutorials keeps looping me back to filters, which I do not want. Apologies if there is something already posted, I may be searching for the wrong terminology.

While in self isolation mode, I've been working on cleaning up years of photos in Lightroom.  I have a particular problem that I'm hoping to find a solution for. Due to taking 'raw' pictures and simultaneously taking JPG images, I end up with two images.  This works for my instant needs... but now I want to get rid of the many dupes I don't need.  Dupe finding software tends to skip over these, as I tend to tweak the JPG images for publishig while on the road. 

Since I just did a great cleanup project, I want to find all of the JPG images in my library and remove them IF I have a raw native available. This causes a lot of back-and-forth eye-balling the images.

I thought there might be a way to quickly highlight JPG images only - and instantly. Something that will show all JPGs in my current library folder so I can quickly glance at the matching partner and then mark the JPG for deletion.

Presently, my efforts to search for solutions nets me Filters. But I can only seem to filter the JPGs by themselves, removing my ability to find the corresponding raw image. Therefore, I don't know if it is safe to purge. Plus, I really don't want to filter. I just want to make it visually easy to find in a large catalog. I'm currently comparing all similar images and looking at the metadata at the top - but I figure there has to be a better way to do this. 

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I'm fairly computer savvy, but absolutey new to lightroom. So I figure I'm just not finding the right word to find a good way to do this. Would anyone here have an idea?

MAC, Lightroom Classic.  TY!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Highlighting JPG vs. (all other) formats

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community. I think I have an easy work-flow question. My attempts to find solutions / tutorials keeps looping me back to filters, which I do not want. Apologies if there is something already posted, I may be searching for the wrong terminology.

While in self isolation mode, I've been working on cleaning up years of photos in Lightroom.  I have a particular problem that I'm hoping to find a solution for. Due to taking 'raw' pictures and simultaneously taking JPG images, I end up with two images.  This works for my instant needs... but now I want to get rid of the many dupes I don't need.  Dupe finding software tends to skip over these, as I tend to tweak the JPG images for publishig while on the road. 

Since I just did a great cleanup project, I want to find all of the JPG images in my library and remove them IF I have a raw native available. This causes a lot of back-and-forth eye-balling the images.

I thought there might be a way to quickly highlight JPG images only - and instantly. Something that will show all JPGs in my current library folder so I can quickly glance at the matching partner and then mark the JPG for deletion.

Presently, my efforts to search for solutions nets me Filters. But I can only seem to filter the JPGs by themselves, removing my ability to find the corresponding raw image. Therefore, I don't know if it is safe to purge. Plus, I really don't want to filter. I just want to make it visually easy to find in a large catalog. I'm currently comparing all similar images and looking at the metadata at the top - but I figure there has to be a better way to do this. 

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I'm fairly computer savvy, but absolutey new to lightroom. So I figure I'm just not finding the right word to find a good way to do this. Would anyone here have an idea?

MAC, Lightroom Classic.  TY!

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one way to do what you want.

You have to Show All images. In the Catalog section of the Library modul select All Photographs.

In the View menu item select View Options or hit Ctrl + j to bring that up. In the Grid View tab. Check Show Grid Extras and set that drop down to Expanded Cells. Then down at the bottom in the Expanded Cell Extras put a check in the Show Header with Labels box then set the first drop down to File Name and the second, to the right, to Capture Date/Time.

2020-04-04 19_38_54-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Then in the Tool bar set the Sort: to Capture time.

All you images will show up and the JPGs will be right next to the RAW files.

2020-04-04 19_54_50-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I presently have this configuration set. That's what I've been using to 'read' the JPG, vs HEIC, RAW, PNG, MOV, etc. 

This does work. I was hoping there was something else that would physically highlight the JPG only, so I could span out and quickly see the thumbnails and then select the 'highlight' one of the two and mark it for deletion. I can't do that if I have to read the text, making the process slower.  

I'm guessing that what I'm imaging can't be done.  :(.  I zoom out so that I can quickly see dozens at one time, and just want the JPG's marked in a way I can quickly see them without reading the fine print on the legend.  
Thank you for confirming what I am doing is the right method!  I'll pat myself on the back for that accomplishment... haha

Here's what I thought I COULD do... I have 4 pics which are identical. 2 are HEIC and 2 are JPG.  I highlighted the banner in yellow. But I was "imagining" a way to flag the JPGs (only) with something... indicated here by the green box.  Then I could eyeball the corresponding pics and quickly decided to purge the JPGs. The problem I have is without the green box highlight, I'm forced to zoom in and read the tiny print, which is causing a bit of eye strain.  

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 8.20.53 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is. It is the FILTER BAR which you said you don't want to use.

But Filtering for JPGs will show ONLY JPGs. you said you want to Compare JPGs against RAW. If there is a corresponding RAW you will delete the JPG.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran a test with the Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder in 'Default' mode. I am sure it will do exactly what you are looking for.

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

Example of my results-

The raw (DNG) files are shown next to TIF files that are flagged as 'Rejected' making it very easy to delete the Rejected files (TIFs in my example!).  You will see any file type including JPGs.

ScreenShot300.jpg

Also all these files found have a Keyword ('Duplicates'), and a Smart Collection that I can search later and resume my deletions at any time. 

ScreenShot301.jpgScreenShot302.jpg  

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to check this out. I already have two duplicate finder solutions. One is an app that runs on every file (including photos), and one that is a plugin with lightroom. They're pretty good - but not great. So I appreciate the suggestion. I'll look into this. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One workflow you may be overlooking, Enter the All Photos as stated, use the dreaded filter to show only JPEG, Select All, Apply a Label (color) to the JPEG files, a color not in use for some other purpose.

Then get out of that filter, show everything, sort as stated, now offending JPEG files along RAW but standing out as colored.

And never ever delete RAW. should be a photographers commandment in the digital age.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! This is the magic solution. I wasn't using label(s) at ALL. Anywhere.  Is it utterly ironic that I drew a label color?? 

THANK YOU. This is exactly the quick eye-ball solution I needed.  Now to remove the unwanted JPG dupes and keep only the RAW images. 🙂 Thanks tons. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution is exactly what I needed.  The label color let's me 'find' the JPGs quickly and then determine if they are unique or a dupe of my RAW image. The two at the bottom is the exactly solution I need. Especially for my larger collections.  Thanks so much!

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 8.10.44 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how that Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder program and or plugin works, I've never used it or heard of it before, but the JPG files that look the same as a corresponding RAW file are NOT Duplicates. They are completely separate files as they have a different File Extension, RAW (whatever real extension) to JPG extension.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPG files that look the same as a corresponding RAW file are NOT Duplicates.

Yes, Basically True.

I prefer to see ALL images that may be 'dupes' regardless of file type, then I decide which to delete. If a RAW does not show up I know I must NOT delete all the JPGs found.

The Duplicate Finder has options that control the way it finds images that have similar metadata.

Duplicate photos? April2019 The Lightroom Queen

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Davd's suggestion of marking all JPEGs with the Red color label may be simplest for relatively small numbers of files to delete.

Another solution is to use the Any Filter plugin to find all JPEGs that have a file in the same folder with the same name but a raw file extension:

Untitled.png

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines