Exit

History missing from catalogue after Lightroom Classic Upgrade 8.3

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the problem and solution.

Problem:

Today I loaded LR Classic and all my history from Jan 2019 to now (May 15, 2019) was gone.

I noticed my catalog was still there and that the upgrade had created a new catalog with a '-2' in the filename.

original file: Personal-2018.lrcat  size: 905,524 KB

upgraded file: Personal-2018-2.lrcat size: 312,976 KB

Based on the size of the upgraded file, something doesn't look right.

So I tried opening the original file using LR classic and it converted the file again, and when it was done, the history is still missing.

As an experiment, I opened the original file with Lightroom CC and I can see all my history up to today, so I know it's there.

So my theory is that something messed up when converting the catalogue and I suspect it is due to the size ot the catalogue, so I thought I would only try to import part of the data that I need. I was hopeful that working with a smaller subset of data would allow me to circumvent the problem.

Solution

Since I know the data is there, as proven by opening the catalogue with LR CC,  here is how I managed to recover the data.

I opened LR Classic and created a new, empty catalogue.

Then I selected the option to import from an existing catalogue (selected the original).

I was able to select which items I wanted to import, so I manually selected all the folders from this year and click ok.

It ran for about 30 minutes, but when it was done I can open Lightroom Classic and access the history I need.

Phew.. I was mostway through editing 800 images from a wedding so would have been choked it I had to redo that.

I think this is an issue that Adobe needs to explore, but I at least hope this helps some of you who may run into similar issues.

Cheers,

David Watson

Calgary Amateur Photographers Group

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Sorry, you are wrong - it did not open an old catalog. Lightroom classic 8.3 absolutely converted the current catalog (created a new copy with the name incremented) and if I tried to open the original catalog, it would try to convert it again. I was even working with Adobe support and they could not figure out why it was happening, so I had to solve the problem myself. As I mentioned, I had to create a new catalog and import a smaller portion of the dataset to prevent it from becoming corrupted

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade to Lightroom Classic 8.3 does not convert your catalog, unless you upgraded from version 6 or earlier. It sounds like perhaps Lightroom opened an old catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you are wrong - it did not open an old catalog. Lightroom classic 8.3 absolutely converted the current catalog (created a new copy with the name incremented) and if I tried to open the original catalog, it would try to convert it again. I was even working with Adobe support and they could not figure out why it was happening, so I had to solve the problem myself. As I mentioned, I had to create a new catalog and import a smaller portion of the dataset to prevent it from becoming corrupted by the conversion process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An upgrade to Lightroom 8.3 does not convert your Lightroom 8.2 catalog, period. If you don’t want to accept that fact, then I can’t help you find out what really happened.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines