• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I be sure that I am copying RAW to DNG into Lightroom without loss/lossy ?

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take pictures using NEF (RAW) 24MP on a Nikon D750 using Nikon Lossless compression on the camera.  I then import them into Lightroom automatically converting them into DNG.

I realise that DNG compresses them further normally without any loss of quality. However my DNG files are only around 20MB and I'm how surprised how small they are compared to around the 50MB size originals on my camera.

I want to make absolutely sure that I am not compressing with any loss of information (notably lossy). Can anyone afdvise me how I can do this?

To be honest, this issue is putting me off converting to DNG altogether.  If I had simply been importing my RAW files simply as NEF files I wouldn't have this issue at all.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

I suppose you could ask yourself the same question about lossless compression in the NEF files. How do you REALLY know that you aren't losing some quality in the NEF compression? One way you could compare would be to import the NEF files and then convert them to DNG using Lightroom and retain the NEF files. Then you could compare the two side-by-side. Have fun doing so because you can spend hours trying to see any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose you could ask yourself the same question about lossless compression in the NEF files. How do you REALLY know that you aren't losing some quality in the NEF compression? One way you could compare would be to import the NEF files and then convert them to DNG using Lightroom and retain the NEF files. Then you could compare the two side-by-side. Have fun doing so because you can spend hours trying to see any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the NEFs are 50 mb?

The NEF files from my 24 megapixel D7100 are around 30 mb, and DNGs are around 25 mb. The file size for both formats will vary somewhat, depending on the image.

This is not something I would worry about, but you can, like Jim suggested, compare them.

Make sure to compare them at 1:1 magnification. I don't think you'll see any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to reply that you all answered correctly but I think that I can only do it once 😞

I have also gone into the metadata and clicking the DNG drop down window I see that"Lossy Compression: no" which reassures me further.

I'll be sticking with DNG then afterall.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a D750. I convert to DNG at LR Import.

My NEF files are 27.9 megaBytes.  LR shows them as 24.2 megaPixels

As  DNG they are 21.1 megaBytes and LR shows them as 24.2 megaPixels.

DNG files are 'raw' files. There is no loss of image sensor data whatsoever. They are identical as images.

Only some proprietary metadata may be lost in conversion. ("fancy" camera features if the D750 has any?)

My original NEF files are never, never have been, 50mB.

Note: If you use the "Adobe DNG Converter", and select the option to embed the original file, then you will get a file that is twice the size.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wanted to reply that you all answered correctly but I think that I can only do it once 😞

I have also gone into the metadata and clicking the DNG drop down window I see that"Lossy Compression: no" which reassures me further.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your replies.  I wanted to reply that you all answered correctly but I think that I can only do it once 😞

Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines