• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I rename imagefiles when shooting thethered ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a new user, sorry. Thethering a Fuji GFX 50R, I can't find the way to rename the imagefiles created with a <text>+<sequence nr.>: in LR there's apparently no command, renaming in the file system breaks the link with the LR miniatures. Any suggestion? Thanks  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tether Capture Setup dialog has a 'Naming' panel where you can select from any Rename Preset you may have defined. The photos are renamed as they Import to the Catalog from the camera.

ScreenShot040.jpg

And your Rename Preset could be something like-

ScreenShot041.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, WobertC. Actually, my problem raises AFTER that: when a shoot is saved according to my template e.g. CustomText_003.jpg, I need to rename that single imagefile as CustomText_003r.jpg, and THIS seems impossible: no LC RENAME command visible (i.e. F2, OR mouse right click+menu, etc.), AND if I rename the file in  Explorer (file system) LC says for that miniature "file not found".
Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 2021 (22.0.0), Fuji GFX 50R, Windows-10 pro, 64GB RAM 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your situation correctly, the renaming you want to do can be done using the Metadata pane in Library. With a single image selected you can simply select and edit the file name. With multiple images selected the file name field will show "<mixed>" and clicking on it will bring up a dialog to rename multiple images using naming templates (Just make sure you have the menu item Metadata>Show Metadata for Target Photo Only deselected if you want to rename multiple images)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Preset will do what I think you want-

ScreenShot053.jpg

If you have a single image selected- press F2  and choose this Preset from the Drop-down menu,

You then only need to enter the [Custom Text] to append it to the end of the existing Filename.

In my screen-clip I am adding the letter 'r' to the existing filename- {20190727-RHC-D750-4811.DNG}

ScreenShot051.jpg

This Preset will be 'Sticky' - ie. it remains in the F2 rename function (until another is selected), and you only need to type in different 'Custom Text' if it needs changing.

Hint: NEVER use File Explorer to do anything to your image files!! (Never- rename, delete, move)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helpful, thank you both. Quite complicated, indeed: I have always to operate selecting/editing a preset, while e.g. Hasselblad's Phocus leaves your current preset working and you can edit a single imagename both from the app AND in the file system, with auto-alignment between the two:
<text><sequence>
CurrentText_001

CurrentText_002        --> F2--> CurrentText_002r, the next shot will be named: 

CurrentText_003        according to the current user-defined schema (preset)

THnak you again, all the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandro, I am not sure you understand the Lightroom 'Catalog' system!

There is NO "...auto-alignment between the two:..."  The Thumbnail you see in Lightroom IS the file in your computer file system. Renaming IN Lightroom is renaming in the File System! There is only ONE file.

Why are you wasting time  renaming the camera 'tethered' files AFTER they have been imported to the Catalog? As I wrote above- Lightroom can Name your files with any Name-Preset you define and specify in the Tether Capture Setup.

So you shoot with Camera, the file comes to LrC via usb, it is renamed by the tether setup Preset, it is saved on the Hard-Drive and displayed in the Library.

And that Preset could be  {Current Text}_{Sequence0001}

eg.

Product_001.jpg

Product_002.jpg

Product_003.jpg, etc.

If you are worried about the 'Sequence Number', then each time you return to the Tether dialog you can specify a new 'Starting' Sequence number.

ScreenShot066.jpg

"Complicated"- No! Once a Filename Preset has been 'Saved' and set in the Tether, it is always available and stays selected in the Tether Setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Andy and WobertC. Before closing this thread I just tried your suggestions and they work of course. The reason why it's a bit more complicated comparing with other programs I'm accustomed to is that instead of having all these editable fields (name, schema, starting number) in the main screen you need to open panes/windows using a lot of mouse click etc. I reproduce books/manuscripts and the file sequence number must correspond to the page/folio number while shooting, to ensure completeness and identification of each pic. So I often need to adapt the filename "on-the-fly" for particular cases (lead/trail, bis-ter, etc.). Just to explain why I disturbed you!

Thanks again Sandro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines