• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I see online collection sizes, and how does syncing work? Can't find this info anywhere.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched thoroughly but eben unable to find an answer to this.

How can I see how much individual collections take up on the cloud, so I can manage my space? All I can see is the total sized used for all my adobe files, and I can go to Adobe cloud and see individual file sizes for cloud saved projects, but as far as I can see, no way to see how much space lightroom collections in total or individually are taking up.

Also, how does syncing work? As per Adobe's online guide, syncing from cloud to computer downloads full versions, but syncing lightroom to cloud only uploads smart previews. Does this mean when my full version is downloaded from the web, lightroom replaces the online version with a smart preview? As far as I can see, this seems to be the case, as my synced collections seem to be larger on my computer than the amount of space I'm using on the cloud.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

syncing from cloud to computer downloads full versions,

Yes.

syncing lightroom -CLASSIC to cloud only uploads smart previews.

Yes.

Does this mean when my full version is downloaded from the web, lightroom replaces the online version with a smart preview?

No.

I do not want to have to go image by image for 20,000 images to figure this out. There must be a better way.

You can determine photos that are 'Full Size' in the Cloud with this method- BUT- DO NOT Press [Remove] as per the article just yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Also, how does syncing work? As per Adobe's online guide, syncing from cloud to computer downloads full versions, but syncing lightroom to cloud only uploads smart previews.

Lightroom Classic syncs a smart preview the cloud whereas Lightroom Desktop syncs the original file to the cloud.

Collections / Albums are virtual containers. As such, they have no physical content

>Does this mean when my full version is downloaded from the web, lightroom replaces the online version with a smart preview?

No, the original will remain on the cloud.

>As far as I can see, this seems to be the case, as my synced collections seem to be larger on my computer than the amount of space I'm using on the cloud.

The smart previews sync to the cloud by Lightroom do not count towards you cloud storage allocation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, forgot to mention that I am using Lightroom classic.

Thanks for your answer.

I still can't figure out which collections/albums are using up space and how much though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I explained  in my earlier post - Lightroom Classic can only sync smart previews via collections to the cloud and these will not be counted towards your cloud storage allocation. In other words, your cloud storage amount will not show any increase or decrease when they're add or removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but items uploaded from lightroom mobile would be uploaded as full images, so the problem remains. If there was some way to force Lightroom to swap online full versions with smart previews, that would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking this question because my online space is just about full, and contains pretty much only lightroom photos, as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The concept is fairly straightforward. Any images that you take with the Lightroom mobile camera on your phone, or import directly into Lightroom (the cloud version) send the full-sized images to the cloud, and they impact your cloud storage. Any images that you create in collections in Lightroom Classic and then share those collections do not impact your cloud storage because they are sent as smart previews. You can send as many collections from Lightroom Classic as you choose. If you have used up most of your allotted on storage and want more you have two choices. You can purchase additional storage from Adobe or you can delete full-sized images from the cloud. Deleting the full-sized images from the cloud will not remove them from copies that are in Lightroom Classic, so it would be possible to create collections using those images and share those collections. So what you are facing at this point is an issue of managing your cloud allotment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, so that's the issue. How can I tell which images are full size, i.e. taking up sapce, and which are smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the info icon in the lower right-hand corner of the right-hand column there will be information indicating whether the image is a smart preview or the full-sized image.

Screenshot 2020-11-04 195607.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know where that column is that you indicated. Can't seem to find it anywherein the lightroom classic app or on lightroom online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

I found this info icon, but even if it did tell me if the photo was a full version or sa smart preview, would I have to check each photo individually? And then would I be able to see the space it was using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of the program are you using? Frankly, I don't use Lightroom (the cloud version) that much for editing. I much prefer Lightroom Classic. However, when I tap the info button in Lightroom 4 this is what I see:

Screenshot 2020-11-05 082336.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on lightroom classic 9.4.

Do you mean I should use the "modern" Lightroom to manage synced galleries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I loaded up Lightroom (not classic) and I looked at some of my images, and it said local files are smart preview, and cloud is full version, but in Lightroom classic, all these are full versions. If I select the entire album, it say both local and cloud are "mixed".

This only makes it more confusing.

I am still not sure how I can just see and manage my online space. Is there someway to force lightroom te replace all cloud based versions with smart previews after downlaodeing the full version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic has been upgraded to version 10, so you are not up to date on that version. Lightroom is at version 4 and I suspect you are not up to date on that version either.

The only way to manage your online collections of smart previews is through Lightroom Classic. That is the only way to create them and to share them. The only way to know which images are full-sized images in the cloud is to look at the info as I illustrated previously. You should be able to remember which images you imported directly to Lightroom (the cloud version) and that should give you a good idea of where to start searching. There is no way to automatically force Lightroom to replace full-sized images in the cloud with smart previews. When I import full-sized images to the cloud it automatically sends a full-sized image to Lightroom Classic. If I choose to delete the image in Lightroom, the full-sized image remains in Lightroom Classic. I can then create a collection in Classic and share that collection back to Lightroom, and that image will go back to the cloud as a smart preview. But it isn't going to be anything automatic. You have got to go through the process of identifying which images are full-sized. I don't know whether or not you are downloading your full-sized imports to Lightroom to Lightroom Classic. I don't know how you are managing your imports. These are all things that you need to fully understand in order to effectively use the two versions of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, my Lightrooms are up to date now, but seems to make no difference functioanlly.

So the workflow would be this?

1. Upload Lightroom Mobile originals > cloud

2. Download cloud originals > Lightroom Classic

3. Delete cloud originals in Lightroom

4. Sync smart previews > cloud from Lightroom Classic

Seems tedious, but I guess it works.

Even after all this, there is still no easy way to see all photos that are originals in the cloud it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the source of your Lightroom Mobile originals? What are you using? Your mobile phone? Or, are you importing images directly into Lightroom for the cloud?

In LrC, have you designated a folder where your Lightroom images are added from the cloud? They should be added to Classic whenever they are added to Lightroom.

I illustrated how to identify originals/smart previews. For me, it isn't that difficult. I use a Nikon DSLR for most of my work and import those images into LrC. On rare occasions I will take a few images using my iPhone, and those are the ones that go directly to Lightroom. But I don't do that all that often.

In reality, from what I understand it isn't recommended to try to function with a mixed workflow using the two programs. It's especially frustrating trying to equalize the count between what you think should be the number of images in the cloud versus what Lightroom Classic indicates are in the cloud. Don't try to do it because it will only frustrate you. The synchronization process doesn't always work flawlessly. Do what you want, but it can be challenging to say the least.

In reality, if one image in an album is a smart preview it's likely that every image will be a smart preview. In thinking back on what I have done, it would be rare that there would be a mixture within an album. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and determine for yourself what you have and how you're going to clear things out. Nobody can do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>What is the source of your Lightroom Mobile originals?

My phone uploads directly. It acts as a backup, but when shooting with my camera, I also take photos with my phone for convenience sometimes, and like to include them with the shots from the camera when they hit Lightroom. 

>In LrC, have you designated a folder where your Lightroom images are added from the cloud?

I only use LrC. I only installed Lightroom to try and fix this problem upon your suggestion. LrC is the only program I use for syncing.

>In reality, if one image in an album is a smart preview it's likely that every image will be a smart preview. 

Yes, it would be great if that was the case, but it seems it isn't and I don't know why. 

>I illustrated how to identify originals/smart previews. 

Yes, but I do not want to have to go image by image for 20,000 images to figure this out. There must be a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you don't fully understand synchronization between LrC and Lightroom. IF you use Lightroom on your mobile phoone, and use the camera in Lightroom, it IS possible to have it configured so that when images are taken those images are immediately sent to Lightroom AND Lightroom Classic. And in the Lightroom Classic preferences it's possible to designate a folder where those images are to be stored. They will be stored in folders by date.

I'm sorry, but to say that you want an easier way to identify which images are full-sized and which are smart previews in Lightroom is kind of like pouting and saying, "I want my mommy!" You just have to do it. It seems to me from the way you have (not) managed your Lightroom online images you have created a mess and it's going to be up to you to clean it up. That's all there is to it. Nobody else has access to your account, so you are the one who has to go in and figure out what you want to do with it. The other alternative is to go into Lightroom Classic preferences And delete all of the synchronized data and start over. The choice is yours. There is a tool, can't remember what it's called, that you can download that would enable you to download everything that you have in the cloud. If you start another thread and asked that question someone else can answer it for you. I'm sure I've offended you. I won't bother you again. Good luck. I hope you get things figured out and straightened out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

syncing from cloud to computer downloads full versions,

Yes.

syncing lightroom -CLASSIC to cloud only uploads smart previews.

Yes.

Does this mean when my full version is downloaded from the web, lightroom replaces the online version with a smart preview?

No.

I do not want to have to go image by image for 20,000 images to figure this out. There must be a better way.

You can determine photos that are 'Full Size' in the Cloud with this method- BUT- DO NOT Press [Remove] as per the article just yet!

Synced Photographs to Remove from Web

Now-

1) Make a standard Collection of these 'Full Size in the Cloud' files.  The linked article refers to the selection "now those photos that we don’t want to sync". (eg. name your new Collection like "From Online")

2) Now from [All Synced Photographs] in the Catalog Panel- Press [Remove] to Delete the selected files (Read the message to confirm).

ScreenShot099.jpg

3) Mark the new Standard Collection "From Online" to [Sync].

In Summary you have deleted 'Full Size' files from the Cloud, and synced them 'Back' up to the Cloud from Collections, but this time as Smart Previews that do NOT occupy any space of your Cloud storage.

I hope my explanation is clear 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, this is perfect, thank you so much! This extremely helpful and exactly what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines