Highlighted

How can I send a raw file and LR edits to someone else?

Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited two raw files in Lightroom for a friend. He sent them to me via DropBox.

I downloaded and imported into LR and edited them.

During editing, I also created two virutal copies that I used for slightly different edits.

How can I send the raw files and all the edits I did in my LR Classic back to my friend who also uses LR Classic?

Do I just send the files and their sidecars?  Or is most of the editing info in .lrcat?.

I have them in their own folder, so could I simply upload the folder to DropBox? Would it contain all the edits in the xmp sidecars?

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I send a raw file and LR edits to someone else?

Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited two raw files in Lightroom for a friend. He sent them to me via DropBox.

I downloaded and imported into LR and edited them.

During editing, I also created two virutal copies that I used for slightly different edits.

How can I send the raw files and all the edits I did in my LR Classic back to my friend who also uses LR Classic?

Do I just send the files and their sidecars?  Or is most of the editing info in .lrcat?.

I have them in their own folder, so could I simply upload the folder to DropBox? Would it contain all the edits in the xmp sidecars?

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion-

1) Select both the raw files AND the Virtual Copies (in your catalog that you used to edit)

2) From the Menu: File > Export as Catalog... Name it like {Transfer} on the desktop. Include negatives (Selected Photos only) in the Catalog Export.

ScreenShot045.jpg

3) Choose the {Transfer} Folder you named in Step 2) and ZIP it to a compressed zip file

4) Send the ZIP file to your friend (Dropbox).

Your friend can then extract and Import this {transfer} catalog into their master Catalog with all your edits by the Menu: Import from Another Catalog... selecting the {Transfer} Catalog.

You can test your procedure by opening the {Transfer} catalog yourself (Double-click on the Transfer.LRCAT file in the File browser, or in your master catalog Menu: File>Open Recent). If it opens with all the information then Steps 3) and 4) are good to go ahead.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 3
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be my preference to use the  .DNG format if that would work for your colleague / friend.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual copies are not saved to XMP sidecar files, because an image can only have one sidecar file. That means you cannot just save metadata to files and then send the raw files and the xmp files.

You could export all files and all virtual copies as DNG, but that means you would create real copies for all the virtual copies. The best option is to export the images as a new catalog, and tell your friend to use 'Import from Another Catalog'. You should not even have to include the negatives, because your friend already has the original images and that is what 'negatives' are.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0