• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I set the capture time to the date slides were taken for scanned slides?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large number of 35mm slides that I am scanning into Lightroom Classic. I have a spreadsheet with the details of each slide, including the date the slide was taken. I am using LR/Transporter to import data from a .csv file into the Metadata of the scanned slides. I can add the date slide was taken to the Date Created field, but that does not change the search date or Date Time Original. I can use the Metadata Edit Capture Time function to make this change, but to do that I have to re-enter the date. Is there some way I can make the change automatically from the .csv file data?

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

The scanned images will show a different {Hour:Minute:Seconds} Time for each image.

So if you SELECT ALL Photos you want for a new {Date}-

Simply change the {Month/Day/Year} to the required 'Date', and all the selected images will have the corrected date with the 'Time' data unchanged. (I doubt you could remember the 'Time' a photo was taken to change the Time values!)

I scanned in 2020 ~ 200 negatives from 1997. I Selected all. In the [Edit Capture Time] I only changed the Year value to 1997

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Us the option in LrC to adjust the Capture Time, "Edit Capture Time" found in the Metadata menu item.

2020-11-10 21_10_57-LrC V10 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

2020-11-10 21_11_48-LrC V10 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have to do that one at a time. Is there no way to do that automatically with the import of metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scanned images will show a different {Hour:Minute:Seconds} Time for each image.

So if you SELECT ALL Photos you want for a new {Date}-

Simply change the {Month/Day/Year} to the required 'Date', and all the selected images will have the corrected date with the 'Time' data unchanged. (I doubt you could remember the 'Time' a photo was taken to change the Time values!)

I scanned in 2020 ~ 200 negatives from 1997. I Selected all. In the [Edit Capture Time] I only changed the Year value to 1997 .

I also saved metadata to files!.

ScreenShot037.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. I am learning how to update batches of scanned images. Unfortunately my slides cover several decades so there are lots of capture dates to update. Your comment about saving metadata to files, can you explain that more? Is the file you save to the photo file or a separate file? Is the purpose a backup or are there other things you can do with the metadata file? Do you know if there is a Large Caption field available in the Metadata and if so, how can you populate it?

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My experience-

I took the workflow of 'Scanning' my negs to a Folder defined in the scanner software (eg. 19970803...), then I imported to the catalog using [ADD] and the folders sort by date in the LrC folder panel.

ScreenShot210.jpg

Next: My scanned negative files were changed for 'Capture Date' in Batches.

I have film in neg folders that were numbered by Year/Month/Day, so it was relatively easy to edit the Capture Date for a group (neg folder) of images.

If you are changing the Capture Date for every individual image- then you have set yourself a task 'and more'!

[Edit Capture Date] in Lightroom-Classic will only change this date in the Catalog, unless you Save Metadata to files. Some have this set to occur automatically in Preferences. I prefer to 'save metadata' when I choose, so Select all scanned images in the Grid and [Ctrl+S]. The result is that the images will now show the Capture date everywhere. (As 'Date Taken' in Windows File explorer)

ScreenShot213.jpg   ScreenShot214.jpg

"a Large Caption field"

To type to multiple lines in the [Caption] field: Press [CTRL+RETURN] for each new line.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines