• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I update my XMP files at the end of an editing session

Participant ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that I can have it updated on every change made, but that really makes for an appreciable slowdown in operation. I'd really like to be able to either tell Lightroom to update all the files I've fiddled or else readily select all images with out-of-date XMP files and press CMD-S. I've not been able to find a mechanism to do that. Am I missing it, or is Adobe missing it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is not available as far as I am aware, Lightroom can be set automatically write to XMP as an option. When you are working in Lightroom as far as Lightroom is concerned the info is in the Catalog file. Lightroom does not Automatically read from the file. If you are aware of the folders you are working with select all the images and CMD-S. It does not matter if the files you select do not have any changes.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer I was afraid of. 😞 I'll just have to remember that if I'm going into a jump-around-the-catalog session, I need to turn on automatic instantaneous XMP saving. If they could just change it to periodic it wouldn't be such a system drag. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 99.999% sure that writing to xmp does not cause noticeable slowdowns. It is a trivial amount of data that is written. There's no way that writing such a small amount of data will cause Lightroom any speed problems.

So in order to help further, we would need to know: Exactly what actions are slow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aas Above. If your system is dragging with the Auto Write changes toi XMP turned on then your system is at fault, Not LrC and not that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines