Highlighted

How change brightness/intensity of local adjustment mask overlay

Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a selection in the local adjustment brush or any local tools, I can display the mask overlay.  Unfortunately, it's BARELY visible.  It's a very faint red.

How do I change the intensity of the overlay mask so it's a lot easier to see exactly where I've selected.

Sounds like your brush has flow or density (or both) set close to zero. (Which may be what you want, but then the overlay is supposed to be barely visible; or it may not be what you want)

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How change brightness/intensity of local adjustment mask overlay

Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make a selection in the local adjustment brush or any local tools, I can display the mask overlay.  Unfortunately, it's BARELY visible.  It's a very faint red.

How do I change the intensity of the overlay mask so it's a lot easier to see exactly where I've selected.

Sounds like your brush has flow or density (or both) set close to zero. (Which may be what you want, but then the overlay is supposed to be barely visible; or it may not be what you want)

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a  different color

Shift O

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2014/01/the-adjustment-brush-overlay-in-lightroom.html

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REALLY FAINT, virtually invisible green on black isn't any better than REALLY FAINT, virtually invisible red.  Or blue...   IIRC, the range mask has the same problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the intensity of the overlay mask is not controlable.

The best we can offer is a color change. I went with green since that is less common of a color in my non-landscape photos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple more thoughts:

1. Temporarily disable LR's use of the GPU by setting Preferences > Performace > Use Graphics Processor to Off. In the past, there have been a few instances where bugs in GPU drivers have caused overlays to appear differently.

2. Post a full-resolution screenshot of the Develop window showing the overlay with some local-adjustment brush strokes. That will let us see if you're system is showing the overlay differently than normal.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sounds like your brush has flow or density (or both) set close to zero."

This is more likely than a buggy GPU driver.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines