• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How create catalog to recognize existing images?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running 9.2 on OS 10.15. Store all image files on two stand-alone hard drives. Inadvertently deleted catalog and file structure from mac hard drive. LR no longe recognizes image files. How create catalog that recognizes existing image files where they are on remote drives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain this further?

You deleted the catalog file, did you look in the trash to see if it is in there and restore it? What about backups, do you have a recent backup that you can use?

What does the comment about "file structure" mean??

If the LR catalog is not in the trash and no backup is available (why not?), then a new Lightroom catalog will not "recognize" your images. In this dire situation where the catalog has been deleted, it's not in the trash and you don't have backups, you will have to import the images again, and quite possibly all of your edits and user-provided metadata will be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response and willingness to pursue the issue. This sad story began when I needed to make room on my desktop hard drive. Working within LR, I moved the image files to two satellite drives. This worked fine for hundreds of new and old images. By “structure,” I mean the way the images were organized in folders: first by year, then within each year in both monthly subfolders and substantive subfolders. My assumption was (still is) that I had copied the files to the satellite drives, not moved them, and thus had not solved my desktop hard drive volume problem. I then started to delete image files on the Mac hard drive. After that, however, LR did not recognize the files one of the satellite drives. By “lose the structure,” I mean when I try to restore files folder by folder, I lose the folders and get only individual image files. The files and structure still exist intact with their modifications, metadata, etc. I can access them in Bridge and PS so I haven’t lost my work. The folder structure and some files are also in Trash, but not image files. When I click on a folder or subfolder in Trash, there is nothing there. What I want to do is convince LR to recognize the images and folders I was using before as they sit intact on the satellite drive. One final note. I did this on two satellite drives. One of them still works fine. LR recognizes it as before. Naturally, it has only a small fraction of the total image files. I realize this probably could have been avoided I had bothered to figure out what I was doing before I started deleting things, but here we are. Thank you again for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't find the previous catalog file or a recent backup ... then I'm afraid this is a very bad situation. If I am understanding the sitaution properly, you would have to import the photos into a new catalog, and possibly lose all of your edits and all of your user-supplied metadata. If you have the previous copy of the catalog file, or a backup, then the matter can be fixed via these instructions, although it will take a fair bit of work on your part since the folder structure has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines