Highlighted

How do I change a virtual copy into the new "original"?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a virtual copy of an image in order to experiment.  I end up liking it better than the original.  I only want to keep the new version around. How do I get rid of the original without affecting the virtual copy.

Click on the virtual copy, then select Photo->Set Copy as Master. This makes the edit that was the virtual copy now appear to be not a virtual copy, and the edit that was the first edit now appears as the virtual copy.

I don't know if this is exactly what you want to do.

As DdeGannes​ said, the original file isn't changed in any way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I change a virtual copy into the new "original"?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a virtual copy of an image in order to experiment.  I end up liking it better than the original.  I only want to keep the new version around. How do I get rid of the original without affecting the virtual copy.

Click on the virtual copy, then select Photo->Set Copy as Master. This makes the edit that was the virtual copy now appear to be not a virtual copy, and the edit that was the first edit now appears as the virtual copy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware the Original is always the Original , Lightroom does not ever make changes to the original file.

In addition a Virtual Copy is just info stored in the Catalog File, it is just "Virtual" it is not an actual image file.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.3, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this info DJ, not sure why one would like to have this as an option but so be it.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.3, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the idea behind that feature is that it is conceivable that one could create a virtual copy and make adjustments to that copy that makes it preferable to the original master. I think what the feature does is simply switch the metadata for the two images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess wrote:

I think the idea behind that feature is that it is conceivable that one could create a virtual copy and make adjustments to that copy that makes it preferable to the original master. I think what the feature does is simply switch the metadata for the two images.

That's exactly the point. It's a very useful feature I think. I do go back into my library and reprocess old images on a virtual copy using newer versions of the Develop process version or using my more current style and understanding and end up with far better images and I do this exact thing to mark the new version as the preferred or master version. I seldomly then remove the now virtual copy that contains the old interpretation though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to do this to multple files with one command. I have thousands of virtual copies that need to be changed to the original, but when I select multiple files, the command Photo > Set Copy as Master only applies only to one file in the selection (the last item in the selection it seems).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines