• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable "smart contrast" in Lightroom Classic?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been shooting a timelapse & hyperlapse project the past few weeks, and I've noticed something strange:

When processing the photos in lightroom, even though the ISO, Shutter & aperture are exactly the same, lightroom interprets the images differently, and applies some kind of smart contrast to the images when imported, to probably even out everything nicely and give you a better result. This is a known "issue" (it is not an issue unless for timelapses).

This happens even BEFORE I have done any edits, and is NOT wanted during a timelapse as it causes flickers. In this given example, only edits I did was -20 highlights and +20 shadows, but as I said it even occers with 0 edits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYJZgarKz0

The images on my camera however, and converted to jpeg, do NOT have this flicker. The flicker only seems to appear when something comes into frame.

So, here's my question: is there any way to disable it?

Please note, it is absolutely not aperture flicker or even any sort of flicker caused while shooting. It is caused in the post production or in the interpretation of the files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this post turns out I had a tiny difference between the two raw files. My bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just watched this new video, which explains how different Lightroom Classic options might cause visible differences between time lapse frames. The video may not have a precise answer for this specific question, but there is a lot of valuable information in it that could lead to a solution. For example, I was not aware that the selected camera profile can affect how much an option like Dehaze will cause inter-frame flicker.

Although the video is from the creator of the LRTimelapse application, what his tests discovered about Lightroom Classic apply no matter how you make your time lapse. Most of that is in the second half of the video, but really, the entire video is well worth watching for anyone using Lightroom Classic to make time lapse sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines