• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get lightroom to only sync in my D drive on PC?

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently made a switch from Apple to a Windows PC, I installed the creative cloud into the C drive and changed all of my download settings and sync settings to the D drive. All of the other programs like Premire Pro, and Audition are performing perfectly! The only program I'm having an issue with is Lightroom. For some reason even after I changed all of my sync settings from C drive to D drive  its still putting some kind of info into the C drive and as we all know the C drive is for small files and the D drive is for larger files. Is there something I missed? does it make a copy into the drive that I'm unaware of? how doI fix this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding the concept of "syncing" a disk drive. Exactly what are you trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default location for the Lightroom catalog is in the Lightroom folder within the Pictures folder, and that folder is on the C drive. That is also where you will find the previews folder and a few other working folders that are part of the Lightroom functions. Unless you have intentionally moved your catalog to another drive, that is probably what you are seeing. Those files don't really take up an exorbitant amount of space. In my opinion, you could probably just leave them where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you will find that Lightroom Classic has intstalled the LR Catalog and preview folders on your C: drive. That is the standard spot. What is the configuration of your drives? Is C: an SSD and D:\ a spinning hard drive? How much space do you have left on drive C: ?

It is possible to transfer the folder containing the LR catalog to another drive than C: but if C: is an SSD and D:\ a spinner, C: will be much faster. The catalog should be on your fastest drive unless you are running out of space. Note: Windows needs the drives to have 1/4 to 1/3 empty space to work efficiently.

I'm making the assumption here that you have a Photos folder on the D:\ drive and you are having LR import the photos to that folder. Is that right?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines