• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get more automatic face detection after manually tagging thousands of people?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I searched for it but came up with nothing.
I have a catalog of about 30-40K pictures which I just started face recognition on. I let it run for a while, and started tagging people names, and it does a nice job at first.

Then, it just started grouping them in the unnamed people section, with a lot of errors and a lot of good suggestions. But I don't want to manually go over ~40K unnamed people! Can I somhow let it continue the automatic detection after correctly tagging ~15K people already?

Just read this and I think it was not clear:
The catalog has ~30,000 pictures. Lightroom Classic CC recognized ~50,000 faces in them. It grouped them partially and then I tagged already ~15,000 faces with names, grouped to ~75 people.
What I'm looking for is for lightroom to continue the automatic tagging based on that - so I don't have to go manually over the rest of the ~35,000 faces and approve or change the obious ones.

Thanks,

Oren

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best that LR can do.  The first 15K people are the faces it's most sure about, and what remains are the faces it's much less sure about. 

One way to make this semi-automatic process go a little faster at this point: In the Unnamed section, look for a person with three or more correctly suggested names, and confirm them. Then look for another person with three or more correctly suggested names and confirm. Repeat until you're got most of the unique people in your catalog with at least 3 confirmed faces.  That way, LR will be more likely to suggest the correct name for more of the remaining faces.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this reply, but I meant after that.

I already named a lot more than 3 for each person. I have people with > 1500 pictures where they are tagged correcty. What I was looking for is a way to tell LR to pick up from here and try to redo the process with the much larger "database" of images.

EDIT: It's even worse than I thought... It keeps on showing me faces that I clearly chose "Remove face region" from. And the same faces, from the same pictures, that I already tagged with one name keep on showing as suggestions for other people. What's going on?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What I was looking for is a way to tell LR to pick up from here and try to redo the process with the much larger "database" of images."

LR's face recognition is far from perfect. For each face and suggested name, it estimates a probability that the name is correct, and it shows you the most likely suggestions first.  So after confirming these most-likely suggestions, you're now getting into the suggested names it thinks are less likely, and it will only get worse as you continue to see the next most likely suggestions and confirm or reject them.  More and more, the remaining suggestions will appear mostly wrong.

While you can select the remaining photos and do the command Library > Find Faces Again, it will just rerun the same algorithm with the same data and come up with the same answers.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It keeps on showing me faces that I clearly chose "Remove face region" from. And the same faces, from the same pictures, that I already tagged with one name keep on showing as suggestions for other people. What's going on?!"

Can you show some full-window screenshots of before and after to illustrate what you're seeing here?  It's not entirely clear from your description.  (Showing the entire LR window in a screenshot can often supply missing context and clues.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines