• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I identify Images that are not in my catalog?

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to think that only images under my main images folder are in my LR Classic catalog but I know this is not the case. My catalog has 30,000 images across hundreds of sub-folders but when counted from the OS the main images folder and its sub-folders have 50,000 images.

Is there a way to move all the images that LR knows about into a new folder structure whilst at the same time leaving behind the images that LR does not know about or perhaps the other way around, I do not mind?

I could synronise the folders one at a time, but this is not only laborious it will only work for the folders that LR actually knows about.  I have thought about using LR to move the folders into a new structure but testing shows that LR moves all the images in a folder not just the images in the folder that are in the catalog.

A workaround might be

• syncronise each folder in the catlog one at a time, adding the missing images to the catalog with a 'specefic' keyword
  • move each folder in Lightroom to a new file structure (this would leave behind folders that are not in the catalog)
  • Select all the images with the 'specific' keyword and delete them from the catalog and disk

Can anyone see a reason that this workaround might not work or is there a better way, perhaps there is plug-in that could do it.

Thank you for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could Import (not synchronize) the master folder, or even the entire drive, and then click on "Include Subfolders". This would also allow images in subfolders to be imported. Make sure "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" is checked. (This may be slow to show the images in the Import dialog box as Lightroom will have to search all subfolders for images, but better than doing it folder by folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom classic (and let me stress NOT outside of Lightroom Classic) in the Library module, using the Folders panel, create a folder where you want it, with a name you like. If you desire, you can also create subfolders.

Next in Lightroom Classic, in the Library module, select your photos, drag them into the new folder(s), this will move them.

The only photos you will see in Lightroom Classic are those you imported. As you noted, others photos nay exist in those old folders that you never imported, but do not want to include, etc.

Once the older folders no longer show any photos (make sure you have not missed some subfolders) you can remove thise folders from your catalog, this should not delete the folders, just removes them from being refered to in the catalog. 

You might want to have backups of the photos, and the catalog befire doing all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some links

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/organize-photos-folders/

https://photoshopcafe.com/lightroom-catalog-mess-organize-photos-lightroom/

https://digital-photography-school.com/folders-panel-lightroom/

Note, not a fan of date ceentric folder structures (default) so do not construe that if a link above advise such, that I reccomend such. Not a pro, but realy not a fan of that file structure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding to the excellent help I received here, I wanted to shared the solution I opted for based on feedback received over at the Light Room Queen forum.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/identifying-files-that-are-are-not-in-my-catalog.40...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines