• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I revert from LRC 10.1 to 9.4 and what will I lose???

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both my Mac Pro 5,1 and Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013) have been utterly hobbled by the update to LRC 10, and it seems the problem is largely a matter of Adobe being incapable of making custom calibration profiles work (which is unbelievably frustrating, and I have paid a very, very high price financially and with my work/life/family balance). Even with the professionally calibrated profiles disabled in favor of a standard sRGB profile I still get frequent crashes and laggy response.

I want to 'downgrade' back to 9.4, but I cannot find any information about how to do that, or what I will lose with regard to completed image edits at the individual level, or library information.

My libraries have all been converted from 9.4 to 10.1, and they contain hundreds of thousands of images. 

Can anyone help? I desperately need to regain my productivity. 

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33Ghz 6 core

OSX Mojave 10.14.6

AMD Radeon RX580

48GB RAM 

Sonnet M.2 4x4 with 4 2TB Sabrent Rocket Q TLC SSD

SpyderX Pro calibration (disabled)

Macbook Pro 2013 15" Retina

Big Sur 11.1

2.6 Ghz i7

16GB RAM

1TB Apple SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 G
SpyderX Pro calibration (disabled)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to 'downgrade' back to 9.4, but I cannot find any information about how to do that, or what I will lose with regard to completed image edits at the individual level, or library information.

My libraries have all been converted from 9.4 to 10.1, and they contain hundreds of thousands of images. 

Your catalog has been converted to the new version of Lightroom (version 10) and can't be opened in version 9.

A conversion backward isn't possible. 

When you try to downgrade to version 9 you'll loose all editings that you have done since the catalog has been upgraded to version 10. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, last month, after suffering along since early December with my super slow, ostensibly broken machines, unable to figure out why they had gotten so slow after the LRC 10 and PS 21 updates, I assumed my admittedly aging computers were to blame. So in mid January, I decided to spend thousands of dollars that was needed for other bills on upgrading my hobbled machines, assuming I needed to improve my hardware, because I have gotten so far behind on my workflow. Clients are furious, relationships are sour, homelife is a disaster with my wife and child and I am working 14 hrs a day because my computters are operating at 1/4 speed, meaning everything is takingfour times as long.

I spend the money upgrading the Mac Pro, do a clean install of the OS and all software. Hopeing I can get my workflow back on track and my INCOME back on track. My 500,000 image library is now converted to the new LRC 10 software.

All of this time lost. All of this money wasted. All of this anger, stress and family discord and ruined client relationships and loss of professional reputation. ALL OF IT. ONLY TO FIND OUT IT IS AN INTRACTIBLE PROBLEM THAT ADOBE F$#%(* KNEW ABOUT AND DID NOT DISCLOSE, AND HAS NOT SOLVED AND IS AFFECTING THOUSANDS OF USERS WHO RELY ON THEIR SOFTWARE FOR THEIR LIVELIHOOD. 

To say that I am LIVID is the understatement of the decade.

And now I'm learning that there isn't even a way to go back to software that actually works is IMPOSSIBLE without losing the edits I have made on HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PHOTOS (indeed - hundreds of millions of photos across all affected users!). 

Meanwhile, absolutely EPIC cashflow while neither notifying users of the problem nor creating conversion tool to allow users to go back to the functional software they promised to deliver in exchange for our money?!? This should be a class action lawsuit. I cannot believe I am in this situation, and there is seemingly NO WAY OUT. 

If anyone has a solution, PLEASE HELP. I and my family are DESPERATE. My rent is due. My clients are furious. I cannot send out color correct work. I cannot do my work in a remotely timely fashion. I am going to have to stop taking on new work. This is INSANE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Adobbe Customer Care 

You can try contacting Adobe by clicking on Support in the title bar of the link I have provided to see if they will provide you with a link to the older version of LrC. But I question whether that will resolve the problem. You will have to revert to the older catalog and import all the images again because the catalog has been upgraded to be compatible with the new version of LrC. I'm using 10.1.1 with Windows 10, and I haven't experienced any performance issues compared to older versions. From what I have been reading on the forum, this seems to be an issue with the Mac OS. At least that's what it seems to me, but I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is in the way Adobe has chosen to implement color profiles between LRC 10 and any number of Mac OS versions. The problem exists for users on brand new Mac Pros running the latest Big Sur OS and people running 2010 Mac Pros on Mojave, and everything in between. In other words, it isn't caused by any changes from Apple, but strictly Adobe's implementation of color calibration (a core feature of photo editing). There are other issues with hangs/freezes/crashes and slow performance of basic functions (ie browsing thumbnails) EVEN WITH color calibration turned off (set to a basic sRGB or other standard profiles). 

So it seems that the onus is one the paying customer to not trust and not implement the software they are paying Adobe to provide until many months and significant customer testing and research an be conducted at the user level to see if the software might actually work as promised. Where they should have been employing test pilots, Adobe is filling the entire plane with the thought 'let's see if it flies'...

I don't even know what to do now. Do I stop paying rent?  Find a new career? Get a second job until Adobe can be bothered to rescue me and the thousands of other affected customers? I cannot believe the position I am in. It is absolutely maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is in the way Adobe has chosen to implement color profiles between LRC 10 and any number of Mac OS versions. The problem exists for users on brand new Mac Pros running the latest Big Sur OS and people running 2010 Mac Pros on Mojave, and everything in between

Actually it's not at all that simple. First, it isn't how Adobe chose how to implement color profiles in LR10, it's a much deeper issue, it doesn't affect all users you point out (me for example and many others; zero issues and I'm running Bug Sur on a very new MacBook Pro). Yes, some profiles trigger this bug, not all. Seems those running BenQ displays and the host software that make profiles trigger this bug, SpectraView users, no issues. 

Adobe is aware of this bug, a fix is coming and at this time, being tested internally and by some affected customers externally. The 'workaround' until then is to use the Adobe supplied sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998) profiles in place of the user profiles. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after reverting to a standard sRGB profile I still have very slow, laggy, bricky performance in multiple aspects in lightroom (browsing files, switching between images, making slider adjustments, etc). A fix is coming" rings super hollow after two months of blind suffering. 

And of course, no compensation from Adobe, no subscription credits for creating this nightmare, nothing. They could have saved people an enormous amount of stress by notifying users of this potential problem, or suspending downloads until they could solve the problem, but no. Just keep taking the money, don't tell anyone about the problem, and let people suffer totally blindly until they 'find a fix'. Horrible, horrible business practices, all the way around.

They're as bad as Boeing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have a backup of the LR catalog from before the update to 10?

If so, you could either save out xmp sidecar files of the images imported or edited after the update or convert those images to DNG. Either will preserve their current develop settings and you need to do this only for the new images imported after the update. You would need to check the version of DNG first required to be compatible with LR 9. (You will still lose some attributes that are only stored in the catalog such as what collection an image belongs to, but the main develop settings will be preserved.)

Once this is done, restore the v9 catalog and the previews file from your backup to a new location. (Keep the v10 catalog for now. If LR 9 was deleted during the update, you need to restore that too.) Open the newly restored v9 catalog and check that LR 9 can locate all your images and all is working. Then introduce the images you imported after the update to v10. How to best do that, depends on how your image folders are organised, but it could be as easy as pointing at the topmost folder in the Folders panel and selecting "synchronize folder" or you could drag&drop individual folders one by one into LR.

LR 9 should now find the new images with their develop settings, either reading from the xmps or the DNG files.

I have done this a couple of times using my Time Machine backup to restore both LR and the older catalog and previews files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines