• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop getting pixelated images (moire?) upon .jpg export?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. For a number of reasons, I started using Canon Digital Pro Photo software to convert raw files from my 5D Mark IV. I then make them into .tiff files before I bring them into Lightroom. Everything looks great when I do this, except when I export images from Lightroom into .jpeg files. 

When I look at the .jpegs at 100%, they are subtly pixelated or show moire (samples attached). Also, I noticed that when I publish the same images directly from Lightroom to Flickr (with no file export), the images look great (example).  

Is there a way I can fix this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you scaling upon export? If not, and if the images come in as tiffs, the moiré is already there, otherwise the cause is simply the downscaling which can lead to moiré effects simply because of the way the math of downscaling works and is not something that you can do much about. Anyway probably a good idea to show a screenshot from your export panel.

That looks like a location in Denver by the way but I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply. I definitely downscale if that means resizing to smaller dimensions (which is essential). 

I'm curious, I don't have this problem if I let Lightroom handle the raw processing, but then the images aren't as sharp and crisp.

Are those the two options? Sharp and crisp with aliasing or less sharp images? 

(And yes, that image is in Denver, at Cheeseman Park.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines