• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you hide the sidecar files when viewing files in win file explorer

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to hide the LR sidecar  files when viewing thumbnails in windows file explorer. I have had some problems with explorer and having now solved them the LR files are appearing alongside each pic file whereas they did not in the past.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you Stop Using File Explorer to view your images files. That is what LrC is for.

If you must then Sort by Type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File Explorer likes to show all files by default.

You could change the sort order in the 'Type' column: Click on the [Type] column header, to 'group' the files.

You could also set the [Group By] option to "File Type" to do a similar 'sort' that will usually place the .XMP files at the bottom of the folder file view.

You could select the .XMP files and click the icon to 'Hide' them- This sets the 'Hidden' attribute for each selected file.

ScreenShot267.jpg

When they are 'hidden' you can then show/hide these 'hidden' files in File Explorer with the check box-

ScreenShot268.jpg

A simple test with my Lr-Classic suggests that Metadata can be saved/read form the .XMP files if 'hidden' in File Explorer.

Other Windows gurus may know better 🙂

Edit:  Why do I never think of the simpler answer from @Just Shoot Me  😞

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You could select the .XMP files and click the icon to 'Hide' them- This sets the 'Hidden' attribute for each selected file"

Great solution works for me I never noticed that before many thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can tell LrC to not create xmp files, if you don't want them.

But I agree with an earlier poster ... one of the benefits of LrC is to give you an improved method of browsing your photos. So don't use Windows Explorer to view your files from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agreeLR is fine for browsing files when you are working with your pics but there are times when it is more convenient to use File explorer for a given task and the suggested fix works fine for me, Also if you tell LR not to create xmp files surely you wouldnt be able to save any edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the preference setting to have Lightroom Classic create XMP files does not affect whether edits are saved, because regardless of how you have that set, Lightroom Classic always saves your edits anyway — in the database in the catalog file. The catalog is always the primary storage location for your edits.

If you set Lightroom Classic to always save XMP files, the only difference is that a second copy of the edits are saved into the external XMP file. Some people do that as a sort of backup in case something happens to the catalog file, but others (like me) simply keep backups of the catalog file.

Also, if you use organizational features such as collections, collection sets, virtual copies, saved prints, saved slide shows, etc. then you should definitely be backing up catalogs and not relying on XMP files alone, because all those settings are saved only in the catalog. Most of those features involve multiple images, so that info cannot be stored in an individual image’s XMP file. A single image’s XMP file cannot know what other images are involved in a collection or slide show, but the catalog knows.

I use XMP files, but only for specific images where I want those edits to transfer to another application that can read XMP, such as Adobe Camera Raw or LRTimelapse. So I leave Automatically Write Changes to XMP disabled, and if I need XMP files for a certain range of photos, I select only those and use the Save Metadata to File command.

In addition to slowing down Lightroom Classic, the other disadvantage of having Automatically Write Changes to XMP enabled is that it complicates file management, which is what caused the problem in this thread. It clutters folders because you now have double the files to manage: Each photo and its XMP file. You always have to remember to move the pair together, rename the pair together, etc. or else you lose your edits. If you don’t have a demonstrated need for every photo to have an XMP file, simplify everything by turning off Automatically Write Changes to XMP. Your edits will still be in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that it is very helpful as it is something I had not realised. I wonderd at the time if the crash that occured when I opend a second catalogue might have had something to do with mixing up those XMP files. I'll just turn them off then.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive turned off automatic write files to XMP does LR purge the existing files.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, existing XMP files are not automatically deleted when Automatically Write Changes to XMP is turned off. Unfortunately, that’s a manual chore.

You can leave them where they are, or after backing up just to be safe, you can use Windows to do a search for .XMP inside your main pictures folder and subfolders, and delete them all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there are times when it is more convenient to use File explorer for a given task"

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you should NOT use File Explorer to Move, Rename, or Delete image files or folders. Doing so causes LR to lose track of those files and creates a nightmare of a mess!

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with @Todd Shaner .

Not sure what Given Task you are talking about but I don't find using Windows File Explorer (or Finder on a Mac) any more Convenient for working with my images files.

As to the XMP files even if you turn that optioon off LrC still saves all your edits to the Catalog File.

The only problem with that is you then get an Icon with downword facing arrow in the image thumbnail that the Metadata needs to be updated. Doing that will create a XMP sidecar file for Proprietary RAW file.

To get around all of this convert all your RAW filers to DNG files. Then with the XMP sidecar option checked instead of creating the XMP file the edits are written Inside the DNG file. So no other Add On file is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd Thanks for that but I dont do any pics management outside LR Im talking of situations like checking my I cloud downloads or eMailing photos stuff like that.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I have had a big problem with LR crashing every time I imported any files Adobe support chat told me this was because the latest win 10 update was responsible for this & they no longer supported LR 6.14 so goodbye. I only solved the problem by reinstalling in Win 8 compatiblity mode got that from Lightroom Queen don't know if many people have come across this yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom for nearly 10 years, and I don't have Lightroom create XMP files. I simply rely on the catalog to store all of my adjustments, and export copies of images when needed. Some may consider this a reckless approach, but in my particular situation it has worked well. I haven't regretted my choice of working this way. I don't feel the need to have the extra XMP files, but prefer to simply rely on the Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no way to do it system wide, but here's what I did -

1. From the Pictures file folder in Windows Explorer, I entered *.xmp into the search bar. 
  2. Select all files that are found, right-click any of the selected files, and choose Properties. 
  3. Check the box for "Hidden" and click Ok.
  4.  Hit the Windows key and type in "File Explorer Options" and hit Enter, then choose the View tab from the File Explorer Options window that appears.
  5. Select "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" and click Ok. 

After that you should be good to go. As many others have said, use LrC to browse images, but you came here looking for answers, not advice. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines