• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How have each external editor append a unique suffix

Enthusiast ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic on Windows 10.  Current version of each.

In the preferences I can set external editors.  And at the bottom there's "Edit Externally file naming" and "Custom Text".

How do I make it do a suffix for each external Editor?  For example, I have Topaz Denoise.  I want it to append "_td" to those TIF files.  Or from Nik Silver Efex it would be nice to have it append "_se".  This way, if I've used multiple external editors in post processing, I'd know what I used and in what order...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no hidden secret interface for achieving such things, just those options that you currently see.

I am not aware of any plugins that would help di this, nor whether the SDK even permits such a thing. In the case of "Edit in PS" there is an opportunity to override the saving name later, when the image first gets written to disk, and have that be the filename that is then made known to the Catalog. But with all other external editing, the saving / re-importing name has already been established by LR before the external editor sees anything. So changing the saving name later, merely creates an extra copy that LR knows nothing about. 

One workaround may be to use an Export preset which appends the desired text to the file-naming, sets the location to be the same as that of the relevant source file, calls the desired external application in Postprocessing options, selects the desired kind of TIFF format, and selects to re-import the exported file to the current Catalog. But this is not as well integrated IMO, and does not offer all the same options, as the Edit In... function does.

Or how about, a few workflow keywords that you can apply in LR onto the newly made externally edited file version, to flag up which tools have been employed? Otherwise, various metadata fields can hold editing notes, if that is important to you. Sometimes e.g. the Nik tools may be employed as smart filters inside the PS environment, alongside other operations 0 rather than as separate external stand-alone applications requiring a separate save. In that case such per-editor suffixes would not discriminate - but keywords or notes could still do so. 

This forum is just a user-to-user area but if you want to make a Feature Request, you can click through to a separate Feedback forum that is monitored more closely by Adobe AFAIK. On this forum's main page, that's the lowest link in the right hand sidebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aargh .. edit post not working.

not aware of any plugin that would help DO this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply...  Yeah, I was pretty sure that was going to be the answer... 

Disappointing, but not surprising - it's the answer I get for at least 90% of the stuff that makes Lightroom more inefficient and cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a general observation, I've noticed that some people can relax into LR's flow, while others find themselves constantly swimming against that!

I do find the former way is far less tiring (also more productive, in my experience) 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could post a feature request in the official feedback forum:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines