• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How may I show the resolution info in ppp of my current selected picture?

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

When I select a picture, I see its physical dimensions in inches or millimeters.

I would like to know also, the resolution of the picture in those dimensions.

I know pictures do not have resolution, just information, and that resolution in only a metadata. According the size of the picture, it would decrease the resolution, if you make it bigger or it can gain resolution, if you make it slower.

However, the goal is having 300 ppp (high resolution) when printing the picture.

In professional pictures, you get the pictures to certain dimensions for example, 4000 x 3228 and the resolution at those particular dimensions, in this case, let's imagine 300 ppp.

Okay, Lightroom show me the metadata of the physical dimensions of the picture, but do not show me the metadata of the picture resolution at those dimensions.

I would like to show, the resolution metadata.

When I press the I key, information, I only see the picture size, lens, etc., but I cannot see the resolution in ppp.

How may I show it?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital images do not have a PPI resolution. I have a 24 megapixel camera that produces images that are 6000 x 4000 pixels. End of story, really. You can do the math and figure out how big that image will be at 300 PPI. But there is no PPI resolution to the image. It is simply 6000 x 4000 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said it perfectly in one line.

• You can do the math and figure out how big that image will be at 300 PPI.

And what I was asking exactly is if Lightroom can do the maths for me, to know how big (in cm or in pixels) would be the picture at 300 ppp. That was exactly my question.

When you are going to print, you need to know what resolution would have the picture at a certain dimensions physical dimensions of the paper, to know if it would fit well or not with the book physical dimensions. In other words, if I would lose or gain resolution, lose or gain quality.

Due I hate maths I was wondering if Lightroom can do the maths for me

So can Lightroom, please, tell me, the resolution that my picture would have at certain particular dimensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a cool tip. Something I have overlooked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I like the tip for creative use and judging crops, it would be even cooler to have this info in the Library and Develop modules. Would be a quicker, smoother workflow. Bit clunky going to Print for targetting w x h x resolution. I'd like to see it all at a glance in the Library.

Haven't found a way to do that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it would be even cooler to have this info in the Library and Develop modules

The Any Crop plugin show the current size (pixels, inches, or centimeters) in a floating panel.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

going much more low tech - almost insultingly so :

if your monitor display had (to make the calculation convenient) 100 dots per inch - that's just a matter of dividing the number of monitor pixels horizontally, by the width of the monitor image in inches ...

...then the 1:3 zoom option (one-third of 1:1 view) would preview your image on screen at around the correct physical scale, for a 300ppi output resolution - though not, of course, for detail.

At 150 screen dpi, 1:2 zoom option would preview 300ppi.

At 120 screen dpi, 1:3 would preview 390ppi and 1:2 would preview 240, but whatever you used, at least it would be consistent and you'd soon internalise the skill of assessing an image based just on the cropped pixel dimensions - especially if you also displayed that routinely using the Loupe overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines