• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How ro delete a lrcat.lock on a drive that is not writable & can't be opened?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all my photos and file backups on a external drive. When I try to open the drive in Lightroom it says "not writable & cannot be opened". Shows a lrcat.lock which I can't find or delete. How can I fix this?

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge Forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

bhargaveede,

I sincerely want to thank you for taking the time to offset mr help with my "lrcat.lock" ssd drive. In the end, after trying many suggested solutions, I gave up. I reformatted the drive. It is working fine now. I am in the long process of restoring my photos from a backup drive.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad

Richard L Hackley

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain further. Give us lots and lots of details, or show us screen captures.

In particular, what does this mean?

When I try to open the drive in Lightroom it says "not writable & cannot be opened".

You can't "open" a drive in Lightroom. Exactly what step in Lightroom are you talking about?

Explain this too:

Shows a lrcat.lock which I can't find or delete. How can I fix this?

Verbs should have a clear subject. So, I am compelled to ask ... WHAT shows a lrcat.lock??? Is it Lightroom showing this, or your operating system, or something else. Exactly where are you looking? Exactly when are you looking ... after or during what action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open Lightroom. From the list of catalogs I select the one I want. When I try to open it, Lightroom displays a message staying that the catalog is "not writable and cannot be opened". If I then go directly to the drive that has the catalog on it and try to open the catalog there I get the same Lightroom message. But I also see a second line of script that shows a lrcat.lock. I can't access the drive in order to delete the lrcat.lock or anything else. The drive that has my photos and backups is an external SSD drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try copying the catalog from the drive to some other location and try opening it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bhargaveede,

I sincerely want to thank you for taking the time to offset mr help with my "lrcat.lock" ssd drive. In the end, after trying many suggested solutions, I gave up. I reformatted the drive. It is working fine now. I am in the long process of restoring my photos from a backup drive.

Sent from my iPad

Richard L Hackley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using your computer's file browser (Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer), go to the external drive and verify/fix each folder down to the catalog to have both READ and WRITE privileges for your user account.

This seems to be a common problem for Macs after an OS upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

Sent from my iPad

Richard L Hackley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines