• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to access Lightroom Classic on two laptops?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have Lightroom Classic installed on two laptops. But on the second one, I can't see any of my photos. What do I need to do so that I can see and access my photos and collections from each laptop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the photos stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom stores all the info in its catalog, so you will need to use the same catalog on both computers. The easiest method is to place your catalog on an external drive, together with the images. Connect the external drive to the computer you want to work on.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you'll find a good articel with many informations about your question

How do I use my Lightroom catalog on multiple computers? | The Lightroom Queen

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One method to simplify the process of accessing images on two different computers is to use shared collections of smart previews. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this, so I won't try to go into detail here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI, the photo files themselves need to be somehow connected to that other computer. Basically Lightroom makes catalog of photo files you "import" into Lightroom. It does not hold the photo files themselves. SO if the photo files - the actual photos - are on the first computer, Lightroom on the second computer has not "improted" the photos. 

I personally keep all my photos on an external drive. I open LR on one computer, import all the photos from that drive to create the catalog. I can then export that catalog to the other computer and then connect the external drive with the photos on it to the other computer. In this situation, you may need to "link" or tell the second computer Lightroom catalog where the photos are located.  Once that is done you can switch from one computer to the next. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines