• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a Map screenshot to a catalog

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say you have a geolocalised photo. I'd like to go map, adjust area/zoom and add that as a photo. I know I can do it manually taking a screenshot and importing it; just wondering if there is a faster way within LR.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not within Lightroom-Classic!

But here is how I do it:  (as a suggestion)

I use Gadwin Print Screen in which I can configure-

- A Shortcut key: I use [Printscreen]   (overrides the Windows function for Printscreen!)

- Area to be clipped: I set screen area defined by mouse drag.

- File type: I set JPG.

- Destination Folder:  I set this to my Auto Import 'Watched' folder.

The Procedure is now-

1) Press [Printscreen] key.

2) Drag cursor to define screen area.

3) Hit [Return/Enter]

Done!  the screen-clip is a JPG in the Destination folder of the Catalog- as defined in the Auto-Import dialog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I use a Mac but the procedure to take a screenshot is very similar. The part I do no understand is how to place that screenshot quickly where I want it.  Say that you have many folders in the LR catalog and one is named "Trip 2020". You want to add a map screenshot between photos X and Y in that folder. I know I can import ("Add") a photo from the folder where I saved the screenshot to the LR catalog folder "Trip 2020" (and to the equivalent location in the HD), the photo will then show at the end of that folder in the LR catalog and then I can move it between photos X and Y. I just wonder if there is a quicker way because this is still a time-consuming operation. I am not sure what you mean by your "Auto Import Watched" folder and how that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your specific requirements, I can add extra steps to my 'Procedure' I gave earlier: (It does not seem to be getting easier, but the method once established can be fast!)

4) In the Library Panel- Select the auto import 'Destination folder' where the screen-clip has been automatically imported.

5) Drag the image to the location in the "Trip 2020" folder (or see alternative below).

Just a few notes to explain further-

-If you set up 'Auto Import' to work with a 'Watched Folder' and a Destination Folder' and "How it helps?" you do NOT have to manually Import any files, so doing all the 'Import' process is eliminated!

- This is my 'Watched Folder' on my desktop where my Screen-clips are automatically 'saved'.

ScreenShot159.jpg

- This is my 'Destination Folder' in my Catalog folder panel where the clips are automatically imported and moved to.

ScreenShot160.jpg

- You will have to move (by drag & drop) the new clip from one folder to its required location between X & Y.

- OTOH, If your "Trip2020" is a Collection of photos that is marked as the 'Target Collection', change step 5) to: Press keyboard [B] to add this new screen-clip (already selected!)  to the Collection,  where it can be Custom sorted between X&Y. (although this leaves the screen-clip still in the auto import destination folder!)

The explanation take far longer than the actual 'doing' 🙂

A small video - Starts in a Collection, ends in Collection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gotu84u55j3r0s4/SCREEN%20CLIP%20AUTO%20IMPORT.mp4?dl=0

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Map module is designed to be accessible directly from any geotagged photo in the Libary. So, not clear why you want to save a map with the photos.

Also, note that selecting an photo then clicking on the arrow to the right of GPS Info in Metadata panel (see below screenshot) will take you to the map module where you will find that the marker associated with selected photo is dead centre of the map. All you need do is zoom in to same.

map-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ian Lyons  I think the OP wants- "add that as a photo", perhaps to use in a slideshow, or a Book (as I have done to show my travel locations.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another idea:

1: take a screenshot to the clipboard

2: press Cmd-E. This will send the image to Photoshop

3: paste the screenshot onto the Photoshop image

4: crop so you only see the screenshot and flatten

5: hit 'Save' and return to Lightroom

6: the screenshot will now be saved as a new image next to the original image

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines