• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Click and Drag photos to an existing collection

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having such a hard time adding several photos at once to an existing collection. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I am following the insturctions. First I select all the photos by clicking shift and the 1st photo, then I select the last photo. All photos I want to add are highlighted. But I can't drag all the photos at once. When I try to drag, the 1st photo is only selected. What is are the correct click, drag and drop key strokes to get it right?  Dragging and dropping one photo at the time is just not feasible.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Monia,

I think what you're being caught with is that you have to drag and drop the image from the center of the thumbnail, and not from the gray border.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monia,

I think what you're being caught with is that you have to drag and drop the image from the center of the thumbnail, and not from the gray border.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Your tip was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing such a simple suggestion. Solved my 20 minute headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion! Solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to log in just to thank you!  It was driving me nuts! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, yet another thank you...  I was going out of my mind there!  Just switched over from Aperture, was on the verge of going nuts when I saw this hint.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Solved my problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, such a simple answer - thank you Beat!

And what a poor UI that people are still finding searching this question 5 years later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And-

If you set a Collection (by a Right-Click) as the "Target Collection"

ScreenShot064.jpg

the Collection shows a small [+] to indicate it is the Target Collection.

ScreenShot065.jpg

Now- Select ONE or MANY images in the library grid and press the key-

All the selected images are added to this (Target) Collection.

So- Select, press B.   easy as!

When creating a NEW Collection you can set it as the 'new' Target Collection in the dialog window..

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is going to save me SO much time!  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also logged in just to thank you. It's amazing how after all these years Adobe still specializes in horrible, non-intuitive interfaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only seems non-intuitive until you take into account all of the other processes the outside frame areas are used for and the size of the thumbnails: Top corners are for flags/missing photos/metadata. Bottom area has color/star ratings/ image rotation.

Using the center of the photo for drag and drop operations prevents many mistaken star rating or flag changes etc. to your selection. (This is most apparent when you have small thumbnails and/or use the compact cell format.)

Much easier to use the center photo than avoiding all of these other library operations. The interface needs to work the same for large/small/compact/expanded thumbnails.

To say you could only use the outside frame or center photo for drag/drop operations when the thumbnail is larger than size X and when thumbnail is smaller you must use the center to prevent mistakes with star ratings etc. would be more confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Beat Gossweiler!  This was driving me crazy as I knew there had to be an alternative to adding the selected when making a new collection or utilizing the target collection mechanic.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!  That did the trick ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to add- Don't forget the "Painter" Tool.

This little spray-can can do many tricks.

1. Mouse-click to 'Pick up the spray can",

2. choose the action from the drop-down menu,  and

3. 'Spray' away on the thumbnails in grid view.

4. Click back on the grey dot to 'place the spray-can back on the shelf'

In screen-clip I have selected to add any 'sprayed' image to the [Target Collection]  (see above for Target Collection)

ScreenShot007.jpg ScreenShot008.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Such a huge help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I grab from the center of the thumbnail the rest of the photos will deselect. So frustrating!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to finish highlighting all of the needed images FIRST, and then - separately - drag these all together into the Collection.

Analogy: say you have three pencils with a rubber band around them, and then you pick up a fourth, completely different pencil - the first three will just stay behind. But if you've put that fourth pencil inside the same rubber band too, then they will all come along with it.

lianne.silano  wrote

Even when I grab from the center of the thumbnail the rest of the photos will deselect. So frustrating!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. I highlighted all the photos I wanted, and went back to the 1st highlighted image, and tried to grab that group but they all unselect. I tried moving from the first photo highlighted and the last photo highlighted, they still won't drag as a group.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One point- You must be selecting multiple photos in the Grid View window- Not the filmstrip. (Filmstrip does not work for this)

To add to Richard's explanation above-

To split the procedure into steps-

1. Select multiple photos so they all are highlighted (the lighter shades of grey) (You can Ctrl/click, or Click/Shift+click, etc)

2. Release the mouse button.

3. Slide the mouse cursor over the centre image portion of any one of the selected preview thumbnails

4. Press AND HOLD the left mouse button on the image.

5. While HOLDING the left button- Slide the mouse to drag the photos to their new folder location or the Collection.

6. Release the L-mouse button.

Step 4. is important because if you {click/release/click again} then you do de-select all the other selected photos. You must  Hold & Drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is, dragging a group of images together works for me; from Grid or from the Filmstrip in Library, also from the Filmstrip in Develop.

Certainly there used to be a difference whether images were selected in Grid view or in the Filmstrip in Library, but that does not seem to apply any more with latest LR version (I'm on Windows): no matter how and where you have selected images, it is AFAICT now the same result.

But you definitely do need to boldly grab right onto the actual photo part of the thumbnail;

clicking on any other part of a thumbnail deselects all other highlighted images, just as you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard-  I stand corrected.

Yes- Drag multiple photos from filmstrip works!

I had not ever tried this until now, and correcting my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So simple - thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and this is still not fixed in the UI design. Most people grab the gray border because it is so thick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines