• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to best merge 2 lightroom catalogues?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a while back i had a devastating hard drive crash, with no backup. the crashed drive contained a lightroom catalogue on some old lr version (don't know which). i then moved on to a new version and new photos, having recovered some from the crashed drive before it became unrecognizable.

i have now hired a data recovery service that found a lot of the data on the crashed drive.

how do i best go about merging the two lr catalogues to one? obviously i would like to not lose the latest retouches on each photo?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one catalog in Lightroom Classic, then File->Import from Another Catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wonderfully simple. if i do that, what's going to happen to the pictures that have adjustments on both of the catalogues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case where photos have adjustments in both catalogs, you get choices about what to do. See section 5 here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/import-photos-various-sources.html#import_photos_from...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lr is smarter than i thought. the catalogue is so big that i can't check each photo individually, but by creating virtual copies i'll have the best of both worlds (in this case, catalogues).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check that the recovered catalog can be opened in Lightroom? Lightroom catalogs are notoriously hard to recover. Usually recovery fails.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the recovered catalogue opens. i guess i'm in luck in this respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If nothing else, I do hope others learn from your mishap the value of backups.

I have all of my photos on an external hard drive. I have a 2nd hard drive that I back up the first hard drive. (I have a 3rd hard drive that I use for Time Machine.) My computer and my primary hard drive are backed up via a cloud service. About 4 months ago my primary hard drive died and I did not lose a single thing. While inconvenient and frustrating, it was not devastating.

Simply, there are two kinds of computer users: those who've had a hard drive crash and those who've not had a hard drive crash yet. Welcome to the club!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no excuse, but the crashed drive was so big that it was hard to back up, 2tb. but yes, now i've wisened the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine are 4 TB. 

You do not state if you are on a Mac or PC but if you are Mac based I STRONGLY recommend Chronosync. This is by far the best backup software out there (at least on the Mac side of things, I have no clue about the PC side but I'm sure there will be recommendations coming out of floorboards and ceilings for you on that. 

One other thing I do is that I keep my catalog in the same master folder that also contains my images on the external drive. This does slow things down a tad but to me the convenience of having everything all together is worth the ever so slight loss of speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photo disk is 16 TB. I make two backups of the disk each time new photos were added. My catalog resides on the internal disk. It gets backed up multiple times.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines