Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Change the color or brightness of Grid Lines

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

Since upgrading from Lightroom CC to Lightroom Classic CC a few days ago, in the Developer mode, the color/brightness of the grid lines is medium to dark grey. They are very hard to see now on any photos. Before the upgrade the grid lines were more like white or a very light grey.

How can I change the grid line color/brightness to a light grey or white color?

Thanks

Michael

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarification/more details:

I know how to set the brightness/opacity of the grid lines for the Grid option "always" (holding CTRL pressed to access size and opacity).

However, when the Grid is set to "Auto", and also in f.e. in the Transform menu or Crop command, the brightness/opacity of the grid lines is still default (on a medium/dark grey) and does not use the opacity value set in the "always" option.

Is this a bug or how can I change the opacity for the "Auto" option for the Grid etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it is a bug or not but it definitely a poor design of not being able to change the opacity of the grid in auto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it is by design. Checked with LR 5.71, CC2015.12 and Classic and all three set the grid at ~20/30% opacity when Grid is set to "Auto"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a poor design it is considering you can change it in ALWAYS mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. It is a poor design. The opacity setting should also be available in AUTO mode.

However, I guess I found the solution for my issue - by accident. It seems when upgrading from Lightroom CC to Lightroom Classic CC, the preference "Use graphics processor" for Camera Raw had been activated again (menu Edit - Preferences - Performance).

I deactivated it and the result: the grid lines are first much clearer, sharper and thinner and probably due to that can be much better seen while doing some cropping or transforming. I would say it looks like before the upgrade.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the opposite result: The lines are thinner and brighter when the GPU is on.  Regardless, the lines should look the same in either mode. Please add your me-too vote and details of your experience to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic crop overlay | Photoshop Family Customer Community . That will make it a little more likely Adobe might fix it before Lightroom Classic is terminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a pain - we do real estate photos - hundreds a week and having an invisible grid is a giant drag on my workflow.  Why do I update to a new version?  I have no idea - stupid.  What's the point of a subscription to new features if the features get broken?  That fiasco last time with the import dialog was bad enough - ugh!  I should have learned.  I don't think Adobe gets how what they do affects people's business.

Certainly the behavior is different with the GPU off - for me the lines are more like I'd expect - whiter and easier to see.  What other issues will I see turning off the GPU?  Who knows...I guess I'll find out if they are worse than invisible grid.  Argghhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this issue is flagged as "Answered" as for most it is not. For some turning off/on the GPU helps but for a lot it does not. Myself included. The grid in the crop module is so faint that at first I thought it had gone. Changing the GPU setting had no effect.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed. i am experiencing this change too and it's truly inhibiting my workflow. pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching the graphics processor to off does nothing on an iMac14,2, sadly. It's hard as heck to see the dark gray grid lines when doing real estate or nature shots.

And no - switching off the graphics processor option is not a remedy - it's a hinderance and not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe. Let me have control over the thickness and transparency of grid lines when they are switched to auto.

Thanks

Dave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, no fix for this yet?  WTH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later there is no fix?  I cannot see the grid on most ocean horizon lines.  Being able to change the color and opacity would be so helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Custom Package" interface has a blue-lined grid to assist with photo placement. The problem is that the gridlines are far too weak, causing eye strain. This is a long-standing problem, but now aggravated with our higher resolution monitors. I would appreciate if the grid lines could be made more pronounced/visible. Also, I would like to see Adobe introduce functionality of the keyboard arrow keys for accurately guiding photos into their precise intended locations in the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When forum posting guidelines are more important than the substance of the ideas being communicated, something has gone terribly wrong. I seldom come to this Community for that very reason, but thought I would try again. Alas I have failed again, because form continues to be more important than substance here. Well, so be it, life's too short - there are alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MarkDS  I am not sure to what you are referring. Can you be more specific?

Edits to posts, moves between forums, including merging threads, are designed to give your post the maximum impact and visibility with our Product Management and Development teams. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I'm interested in is that recommendations I put forward regardless of where or how written get communicated to the people who matter. To whoever manages this community, doing that would be much more appreciated than re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The only thing I'm interested in is that recommendations I put forward regardless of where or how written get communicated to the people who matter"

And if rearranging the chairs is exactly what is needed to do that?

Again, if you could say specifically to what you are taking exception, we might be able address that - or at least explain it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I put up a post with two items in it. (1) I'm told it's the wrong place to post this. (2) I'm told I can only put one idea in one post. (3) I'm told it should be merged with another thread that doesn't really deal precisely with what I raised. A normal company really interested in customer feedback and ideas would instead return a message that says: "Thank you for your suggestions. We will forward them to the appropriate people for consideration and let you know the outcome." Instead I'm treaated to a pile of proedural crap. Do you understand now? And to boot, here's another one: only the first two tabs of Lightroom Preferences have anything on them - the rest are blank. Way to go Adobe + Apple. And no, I'm not posting this anywhere else. Someone should just tell me whether it's a known issue and what to do about it. There's enough money in Adobe (I've been examining the Corporate 10-K) to put some serious resources into customer care - for a change, and take this albatross of a "Community" off our backs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to provide specifics about your issues with forum interaction. I appreciate that you did that. We will consider your comments as we review future procedures. 

Here is information for you that might help in the future if you decide again to request a
feature: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863... 

Regarding your specific preference issue, which is unrelated to this thread, I recommend you make a post in a separate new Discussion thread to help obtain steps on how to correct your issue. Please provide complete information so that others may help you quickly and completely.  If it were a known issue, I would direct you to the authoritative post, however it is not. 

You are always welcome to contact Customer Care for personal help at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html . Click on the live chat link in the lower right of this page. Typing “Agent” into the chat text field will bypass the initial chat bot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rick.

Votes

Translate