• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to convert camera profiles (DCP to XMP or CSV)

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I made a lot of creative DCP profiles to many cameras. Now I want to know if is possible to convert to new xmp profile style. 

Ok, I know I can just convert the settings in to a xmp profile usin ACR but when I do that I need the DCP on the right place (adobe/CameraRAW/ Camera Profiles) to load the xmp correctly. 
If I try to "rename" using "alt" I can change "applicability" of the xmp profile but it still blocked to camera model or camera profile (DCP) which, in turn, is also blocked to the specific camera model. 

I only have "Images from all models and formats" if I used adobe Standart profile to create the XMP profile.

So... Is there a way to transform my DCP files into this new profile model that I don't need to specify the camera model for?

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you might post on the Camera Raw forum -- there might be people expert in these issues there.

I have only a passing familiarity with DNG Camera Profiles (.dcp) but am more familiar with the new enhanced/creative .xmp profiles.

If your .dcp "creative" profiles were based on Adobe Standard, and they used one HSV look table (not two) and they didn't use color matrices, then you might be able to make a creative/enhanced .xmp profile that produces the same result but could be applied to a raw from any camera.   Creative/enhanced .xmp profiles don't support two HSV look tables, nor do they support color matrices.

You could use dcpTool to extract the HSV look table from the .dcp, convert it to .csv format using your favorite text editor or scripting language, and then load that look table into the creative/enhanced .xmp profile you build in Camera Raw.  Likewise, if you used a tone curve in the .dcp, you could extract it with dcpTool and then manually insert it into the creative/enhanced .xmp file (you'll probably have to convert it from dcpTool XMP format to that required by creative/enhanced .xmp profiles).

However, I'm not sure that the look tables in .dcp profiles are interpreted by LR in the same way as look tables in creative/enhanced .xmp profiles.  It's possible that thye are used in different ways in the Camera Raw processing pipeline.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John I have a few .dcp files that I need converted to XMP. Would you be able to do this for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's been some updates to this issue over at https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/unable-to-convert-dcp-files-to-xml-usin... including some code samples.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not.  The method I sketched above would be time-consuming, and I'm not sure it would produce good results.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 3 old vsco filters each with their own camera profiles I want to convert so I can use them with the Canon r6. Is this impossible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have 3 old vsco filters each with their own camera profiles I want to convert so I can use them with the Canon r6. Is this impossible?"

It may be possible technically, as I sketched above, though I don't know of anyone who has tried it or any tool that could do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I answered this in another thread. The trick is to decompile the dcp file using dcptool. Change the camera descriptor in the resulting xml file to the correct descriptor for the R6 and recompile it to a new dcp file. It will now work for the new camera. It won't be perfect but since these are vsco filters probably it will be good enough as they are usually quite extreme so subtle differences in sensor behavior won't do much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines