• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create an action in Lightroom Classic?

Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a year ago, I created a Lightroom action on one of my laptops to be applied to all files imported automatically from a hot folder. I would like to create a similar action on another computer but I can't remember how I did it. Nor can I find anything in the Adobe help topics database.

The action I created was used for capturing monochrome film negatives on a copy stand. When the files land in the designated hot folder, the action automatically converts them to black & white and reverses the tonality (shadows become highlights, etc.) with a curve.

I would also like to know how to set up a diferent hot folder with a different action or with no action.

I am using the latest Mac OS.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

I believe you are referring to the 'Auto Import' function in Lightroom-Classic.

In the setup dialog -  MENU: File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings...

The 'Watched Folder' is the folder you, or the camera, places the files.

The 'Destination Folder' is the folder where Lightroom moves the files to their location shown in the catalog.

The Information panel allows you to select a PRESET in the Develop Settings that will be applied to the photos as they import.

ScreenShot025.jpg

You can use your own defined Prese

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Do I need a special Adobe plug-in for Sony cameras?

TBMK- No. But you need the Sony Tether software.

no live view appeared.

That would be a Sony software feature- if it is possible ?? (I am a Nikon person) There is no Live-View function in Lightroom.

I tried to make that folder a LRC watched folder

The 'watched folder' MUST be empty of files before you enable Auto-Import.

I have found in the past that I could re-establish the Auto-Import function by re-defining both the 'Watched' and 'Destinat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Many thanks. I got all of it configured today after a couple of hard days.

Yes, I am already using the Sony tethering software mentioned in your link. It is very clunky software, though. Reminds me of something from the DOS era or very early WIN era. Now I've got a perfectly streamlined workflow for film negative capture: The Sony Imaging Edge software gives me a live view with full camera controls. Once I make the exposure the file is deposited into my LRC watched folder. LRC then moves it to a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are referring to the 'Auto Import' function in Lightroom-Classic.

In the setup dialog -  MENU: File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings...

The 'Watched Folder' is the folder you, or the camera, places the files.

The 'Destination Folder' is the folder where Lightroom moves the files to their location shown in the catalog.

The Information panel allows you to select a PRESET in the Develop Settings that will be applied to the photos as they import.

ScreenShot025.jpg

You can use your own defined Preset or any of the installed Presets.

You would select your Preset that inverts the Tone Curve. (Create in the Develop module if lost or not existing)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I have copied and pasted your reply so that the next time I can't remember how I did it, I will have a reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I was wondering if it is possible to have more than one watched folder with different presets. It seems that last year I had one folder for B&W negative capture and another for color transparency capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more than one watched folder

No. one only for Auto Import.

OTOH- If you are using Camera TETHER to 'import' your photos, then you can set both a new Folder, and a different Preset, in the Tether dialog-

Screen-clip shows the photos importing to a 'NEGATIVES' folder with the 'B&W High Contrast' Profile.

Both these 'fields' can be changed in the Tether camera dialog while shooting.

ScreenShot141.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again,

So I tried following the steps above but I simply could not get LRC to auto import files from the watched folder. I spent at least 90 minutes experimenting with different settings and just could not make it happen. The Sony tethering software is set up to drop the files in to a designated folder. I tried to make that folder a LRC watched folder but it just wouldn't happen. I could see the files in the folder but LRC never imported them. Even when navigating LRC to that folder, it could not see the files.

Last year, I was able to make all of this work on another Mac laptop (which is fortunately still configured that way). However it is extremely frustrating not to be able to replicate it. I have just finished wiping the hard drive of the problem machine and reinstalling OS Catalina and the latest version of LRC. I will re-install the Sony tethering software and try again today.

Meanwhile, I also tried tethering directly to LRC. I set what seemed to be the right settings, but nothing happened; no live view appeared. Do I need a special Adobe plug-in for Sony cameras? I will do a separate post later, asking about tethering Sony cameras directly into LRC.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need a special Adobe plug-in for Sony cameras?

TBMK- No. But you need the Sony Tether software.

no live view appeared.

That would be a Sony software feature- if it is possible ?? (I am a Nikon person) There is no Live-View function in Lightroom.

I tried to make that folder a LRC watched folder

The 'watched folder' MUST be empty of files before you enable Auto-Import.

I have found in the past that I could re-establish the Auto-Import function by re-defining both the 'Watched' and 'Destination' folders (ie creating new folders), and setting these new folder locations in the Auto-Import setup. (The Sony tether folder destination would then also need re-defining!)

Get the Auto-Import function to work first (test by a drag&drop of any photo file) onto the 'Watched' folder and see that LrC imports and plaes it in the 'Destination' folder.

(I have my 'Watched' folder on the desktop so as to drag&drop photos from most applications.)

You may find this link helpful-

https://briansmith.com/how-to-tether-sony-a7-a7r-a7s/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks. I got all of it configured today after a couple of hard days.

Yes, I am already using the Sony tethering software mentioned in your link. It is very clunky software, though. Reminds me of something from the DOS era or very early WIN era. Now I've got a perfectly streamlined workflow for film negative capture: The Sony Imaging Edge software gives me a live view with full camera controls. Once I make the exposure the file is deposited into my LRC watched folder. LRC then moves it to another folder (this was where I got lost yesterday- couldn't locate that folder at first because it is deep in the OS system's Library folder; once I found it, I moved it to the desktop), where it auto imports and my custom preset is applied. My preset converts to black & white and then does a negative-positive reversal.

I first developed this system in 2018, when I provided all of the scanning, editing and printing services for a large museum exhibition of medium format film negatives from the early 1960s. I used a 42 MP Sony a7r II camera with a Canon 100mm macro lens on a copy stand and a broad spectrum LED panel for illumination from below. Film negatives were fluid mounted on glass suspended a few inches above the light panel on a custom built, moveable platform that allowed the negatives to be scanned in either 2, 4, or 6 sections and then stitched together in photoshop. Print sizes included 22x22, 30x30, 30x40, 40x40 and 40x55. Having just recently upgraded to a Sony 61-MP mk IV camera, I will never again have to capture more than 2 or 3 sections of a negative, moving the film in a single direction. Someday I hope to have 100-150 MP at my disposal for single shot capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines