Highlighted

How to create an independant backup of entire LR Classic CC including original RAW and JPEG images.

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have aver 300 GB of mixed RAW and JPEG images stored locally on my IMAC.  If I make a backup disk for all the originals and a copy of the LR catalog, can the two be re-united in the event my computer is destroyed or stolen?  Or is there a better solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to create an independant backup of entire LR Classic CC including original RAW and JPEG images.

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have aver 300 GB of mixed RAW and JPEG images stored locally on my IMAC.  If I make a backup disk for all the originals and a copy of the LR catalog, can the two be re-united in the event my computer is destroyed or stolen?  Or is there a better solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 05, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted in the wrong forum, this is the Captivate forum. Will try to move your question to te Lightroom forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you have the original photos and the Lightroom catalog file, then you can make everything work properly.  Basically, you open the Lightroom catalog and then point it to the disk location where the photos are, following these instructions: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your backup has the exact folder structure of the originals or you won't be able to relink the backup easily.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" If I make a backup disk for all the originals and a copy of the LR catalog, can the two be re-united in the event my computer is destroyed or stolen?"

As already mentioned this will work if your backup copy is on a separate drive and you keep the image files and catalog file(s) updated as files are added and edited using a file synchronization app such as Time Machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0