• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create custom file name preset for mobile image files?

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import images to Classic from my DSLR to Lightroom I have a custom file name preset to name the image something like YYY-MM-DD - sequence#. The photos I take on my iPhone auto-sync with Lr Classic and create a file name like IMG_091.jpg

Is there a way to include a naming convention like the one I've created for DSLR imports?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom sync options don’t seem to provide a way to do that automatically. I use a semi-automatic workaround.

The raw photos I shoot with the Lightroom mobile camera always start with APC_  and that doesn’t match my naming convention. I created a Smart Collection that lists all photos in the catalog that start with APC_ so that I can select them all, press F2 (the shortcut for Library > Rename Photo), and then apply the same rename preset that I use for camera card imports. The remaining problem with this workaround is that I have to remember to do it once in a while.

LR Mobile DNG Conform Names.jpg

You might set up a similar Smart Collection that lists all images starting with IMG_ . The only reason that isn’t part of my Smart Collection criteria is that I use the phone’s built-in camera for JPG images that I don’t usually need to sync with my Lightroom Classic catalog, because I prefer the raw images from the Lightroom camera. But for the few phone JPG images that I do catalog, I should probably add a line for IMG_ and change the Match line to “any”.

I wasn’t able to find an existing feature request for this at the Lightroom product feedback site, so one could be submitted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another shortcoming is that renaming with F2 then does not respect picture number.

Desktop import all get a unique number that is stored an incremented by LR with my name scheme.

If renaming imports that came to LrC from mobile, it seems not to respect this number.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines