Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create DNG preset on laptop

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I've made some nice photo settings, which I want to save as a file. When I export them as preset the only available format is .xmp. But I need them to be in .dng format.
Please help me to find out how to get it. 

No advice on using other formats. I really need .dng

Thank you ❤️

(Moved to the LR Classic forum by Moderator)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

First- Presets for Lightroom (Classic and Cloudy) are always XMP files.

The reason for DNG would be for people with the 'free' version of Lightroom on their phones or ipads.

The DNG file is  a raw image filetype that can have preset edits embedded within the file. The DNG file acts as a "Carrier" (like the Trojan Horse!).  Lightroom-Classic users would 'Export as Original DNG' after saving the editing metadata to the file. The DNG file is now imported into Lightroom-"free" and the embedded Pre

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you think you need them in DNG format? A DNG is an Adobe Digital NeGative, No real settings are stored in a DNG file. It is a RAW Image file.

Please state why you want a DNG file, for what purpose. What do you plan on doing with that DNG file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for writing in here. 
I want to sell my presets on Etsy. And all current presets there I've checked are in this format. Seems like it's the most popular format for mobile Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see: https://filtergrade.com/how-to-convert-lightroom-presets-to-dng-files/

PLEASE USE THE BLUE BUTTON WHEN REPLYING TO POSTS.
Helps to show posts in date/time order, improves visibility (as not hidden in a reply to a reply), and is easier to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I saw that article, but it's not helpful. On newer versions of LightRoom File Menu there are no such options. Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 12.00.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First- Presets for Lightroom (Classic and Cloudy) are always XMP files.

The reason for DNG would be for people with the 'free' version of Lightroom on their phones or ipads.

The DNG file is  a raw image filetype that can have preset edits embedded within the file. The DNG file acts as a "Carrier" (like the Trojan Horse!).  Lightroom-Classic users would 'Export as Original DNG' after saving the editing metadata to the file. The DNG file is now imported into Lightroom-"free" and the embedded Preset can be extracted from the DNG.

https://stayclosetravelfar.com/how-to-install-lightroom-mobile-presets/

Anyone with a subscription to the Photography Plan with Lightroom, can easily have XMP Presets Imported into Lightroom-Desktop (ie. Lightroom-Desktop on a PC/Mac) and the Presets will automatically sync to mobile devices. 'Carrier' DNGs are NOT required.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-cc/using/add-sync-mobile-presets.html

So I believe the answer for the OP is to Export DNG files with each Preset applied- Lightroom-Classic would be needed for this. The DNG images would be 'sold' to clients to extract the Preset in each DNG.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I want to sell some presets on Etsy, so if I understand correct from the answer above: I can sell the DNG files for people who have the free version?

What if you have the paid version and you don't have a desktop version to sync the .xmp files from there? Can you also import the .xmp files only to the mobile version or do they need .dng as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can sell the DNG files for people who have the free version?

Yes.

and you don't have a desktop version to sync the .xmp files from there? Can you also import the .xmp files only to the mobile version

No.

or do they need .dng as well?

Yes.

Did you read the article in the link above?

https://stayclosetravelfar.com/how-to-install-lightroom-mobile-presets/

Also see the Chapter- 'Create a DNG for Mobile Users' in this link-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/create-lightroom-presets/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC gave you the correct answer and that you are asking about Lightroom, the newer Cloud Centric version and not the Classic LR version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering, is this still the most recent solution to create a DNG preset in Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines