• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to directly edit a Lightroom Catalog?

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved my lightroom files (files and catalog) to a new drive. That means all the links to files in the catalog are broken. The recommended method is to fix an image and then check a box that causes all the other images in that folder to be fixed. 

Problem: I have 25K images in a billion folders. To manually fix the links one folder at a time will take years. 

Question: Is there a tool or method to do a "change all" in the catalog? I opened the catalog in BBEdit and did a change from "/originalDrive/" to "/newDrive", but when I saved it, lightroom regarded it as corrupted. I spent a couple hours doing the folder by folder method and then projected that I'd be several years older by the time I finished. 

Solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reconnect entire folders or entire trees of folders by reconnecting the parent folder. See Figure 4 and associated text: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. That's helpful. it's showing the root of the photo files to be on the startup volume and I can't navigate it to the real root. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's showing the root of the photo files to be on the startup volume and I can't navigate it to the real root.

Explain this in more detail. Show us screen captures, by including them in your reply via the "Insert Photos" icon. Do not attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, LR does not show the correct folder tree structure, but instead shows it flattened.

In the Folders panel, select a folder, right-click, "show parent". Repeat as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. "show parent" just collapses the folder list. I can't get it to show the actual root folder. If there was a way to show the root and have it reconnect everything in it, that would be wonderful. 

2. The actual directory structure (in Finder) is nutso. 2020 will have a subfolder of 2019, that, in turn will have a list of folders, one of which is 2020, etc. I trusted that LR would keep things in a semblance of order. 

3. I'm still chipping away by using the method of scrolling the "all photographs" until I see a screen of exclamation points and then find the folder that has that project. I'm trying to get the big chunks re-connected. It seems, I'm about half way, but it gets more tedious as I am getting to folders of 1 or 2 images. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 3.45.07 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I don't think your screen capture explains "I can't get it to show the root folder". Or if it does, then I don't understand. Isn't there a "root folder" if you expand PhotoLibrary?

I'm still chipping away by using the method of scrolling the "all photographs"

Lightroom Classic provides tools for this. You shouldn't have to search by scrolling. Under the Library Menu, use Find All Missing Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sorry:

I got it. Showed parent folder in the former disk, and resolved that to the current drive, instructing to merge. That seems to have worked. 

That was the bulk of task 1. Then straightening out the file structure, and then these deposits of files that LR has done on startup disks. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines