How to download Lightroom without Adobe Creative Cloud?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download Lightroom Classic without downloading Adobe Creative cloud? I don't like how it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need. All I want is Lr.

Is this possible?

TOPICS
Download and install, How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2021
dj_paige LEGEND , Feb 09, 2021
How can I download Lightroom Classic without downloading Adobe Creative cloud? I don't like how it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need. All I want is Lr. Is this possible?By @Eirik Havre Can't be done. Lightroom cannot be downloaded and does not run without the Creative Cloud app.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download Lightroom Classic without downloading Adobe Creative cloud? I don't like how it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need. All I want is Lr.

Is this possible?

By @Eirik Havre

Can't be done. Lightroom cannot be downloaded and does not run without the Creative Cloud app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very common notion that the CC application "bogs down" the computer with "bloat".

I have never seen a shred of evidence that this is actually the case. Yes, some background processes are running, but every piece of software on the planet does that nowadays. If you have problems in Adobe software, this is not the cause.

What the CC app does is take a lot of workload off each application and manage it centrally, so if anything, it reduces bloat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not saying its having a noticable effect. Im saying I did not install these things and I did not concent to having them run. 

In my mind, it is not unreasonable to want to install ONLY Lr and nothing else. 

"What the CC app does is take a lot of workload off each application and manage it centrally, so if anything, it reduces bloat." 
What exactly does that mean? What workloads does it take off other apps? I don't udnerstand.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be specific, it's necessary that you have The Creative Cloud activated i.e. you are signed in to your Adobe a/c to install, activate, uninstall, up date, manage etc, your application on your computer, you can exit the app but you must remain "signed in". You can be disconnected  from the internet for up to 30 days if you pay your subscription monthly or 90 days if you are subscribing annually. Adobe needs to verify if your payment is up to date.
Also when you are completed working in LrC you can exit but do not sign out.

You can have two computers activated at any point in time with one in use.

Just some tips.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.2.1, LrC 10.1.1 (>10.0), Lr 4.1, Ps 22.1, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC app is what Adobe uses to advise you when updates are available, and is what is used to deliver those updates to you. I leave it installed and active at all times. It hasn't hindered operation or performance on my computer at all. Since that app is what is keeping track of when things need to be updated, that burden isn't part of Lightroom itself.

That is how Lightroom and Lightroom Classic work. That's how all Adobe programs work. The entire Adobe collection is managed through the Creative Cloud Application Manager. If you can't work within that framework then you will have to look somewhere else. There is no other pathway to Lightroom or Lightroom Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eirik Havre wrote:

it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need.

Which specific “extra things’ do you mean, and how did you determine that you don't need them? We might be able to explain why Lightroom Classic uses at least some of them. Just because they run outside the main application does not mean they aren’t required.

Even if you did determine that you don’t need them, this situation is no different than the operating system itself. There are background OS processes on my computer that I will never use, like desktop updaters for stock tickers and news, or anything to do with gaming. But the OS does not provide the option to prevent installing those processes. That’s how this is too. Software companies prefer to offer a simple one-click install.

I remember when more OS and software installers had a “custom installation” option where you could choose not to install certain things, but those are rare now. One reason is that most users are comfortable with a simple one-click installation. For the software companies, having to verify just one installation configuration probably saves them a lot of test time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines