• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to download Lightroom without Adobe Creative Cloud?

Participant ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download Lightroom Classic without downloading Adobe Creative cloud? I don't like how it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need. All I want is Lr.

Is this possible?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

How can I download Lightroom Classic without downloading Adobe Creative cloud? I don't like how it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need. All I want is Lr.

Is this possible?

By @just eirik

Can't be done. Lightroom cannot be downloaded and does not run without the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible?

By @just eirik

Can't be done. Lightroom cannot be downloaded and does not run without the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very common notion that the CC application "bogs down" the computer with "bloat".

I have never seen a shred of evidence that this is actually the case. Yes, some background processes are running, but every piece of software on the planet does that nowadays. If you have problems in Adobe software, this is not the cause.

What the CC app does is take a lot of workload off each application and manage it centrally, so if anything, it reduces bloat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not saying its having a noticable effect. Im saying I did not install these things and I did not concent to having them run. 

In my mind, it is not unreasonable to want to install ONLY Lr and nothing else. 

"What the CC app does is take a lot of workload off each application and manage it centrally, so if anything, it reduces bloat." 
What exactly does that mean? What workloads does it take off other apps? I don't udnerstand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be specific, it's necessary that you have The Creative Cloud activated i.e. you are signed in to your Adobe a/c to install, activate, uninstall, up date, manage etc, your application on your computer, you can exit the app but you must remain "signed in". You can be disconnected  from the internet for up to 30 days if you pay your subscription monthly or 90 days if you are subscribing annually. Adobe needs to verify if your payment is up to date.
Also when you are completed working in LrC you can exit but do not sign out.

You can have two computers activated at any point in time with one in use.

Just some tips.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC app is what Adobe uses to advise you when updates are available, and is what is used to deliver those updates to you. I leave it installed and active at all times. It hasn't hindered operation or performance on my computer at all. Since that app is what is keeping track of when things need to be updated, that burden isn't part of Lightroom itself.

That is how Lightroom and Lightroom Classic work. That's how all Adobe programs work. The entire Adobe collection is managed through the Creative Cloud Application Manager. If you can't work within that framework then you will have to look somewhere else. There is no other pathway to Lightroom or Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@just eirik wrote:

it installs and runs a lot of extra things I dont need.

Which specific “extra things’ do you mean, and how did you determine that you don't need them? We might be able to explain why Lightroom Classic uses at least some of them. Just because they run outside the main application does not mean they aren’t required.

Even if you did determine that you don’t need them, this situation is no different than the operating system itself. There are background OS processes on my computer that I will never use, like desktop updaters for stock tickers and news, or anything to do with gaming. But the OS does not provide the option to prevent installing those processes. That’s how this is too. Software companies prefer to offer a simple one-click install.

I remember when more OS and software installers had a “custom installation” option where you could choose not to install certain things, but those are rare now. One reason is that most users are comfortable with a simple one-click installation. For the software companies, having to verify just one installation configuration probably saves them a lot of test time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but the OP has a point.

I count 14 adobe related services running actively in task manager and that is without creative cloud running, unchecked the run at startup setting, and no adobe products are active in the tray or on the taskbar. 

That is... excessive and I'm a software developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DanGu wrote:

From Adobe (community forums):
"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user to user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:

If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you so by following these guidelines:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idc-p/12932310#M...

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I count 14 adobe related services running actively in task manager and that is without creative cloud running, unchecked the run at startup setting, and no adobe products are active in the tray or on the taskbar. 

That is... excessive and I'm a software developer.

By @DanGu

As stated, we can't help you. But there are other software developers who clearly think this is not excessive. Who's right? I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When paying customers cancel and unstall the software partially because of it as I just did, I would say that it might be an issue. Of course I am just one small user.

P.S.  I have used lightroom for 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe most users don't care, and so its a valid strategy for Adobe, and they're making profits.

No software will satisfy everyone. All software has issues that some users don't like and causes the user to use other software, how could any company (like Adobe) avoid such a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When paying customers cancel and unstall the software.."

So you are cancelling your Creative Cloud subscription and access to ALL Adobe software. Yes?

If so then there is the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool that can wipe all Adobe software from your computer.

CLEANER TOOL LINK

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to second DanGu's comment. I have used Lightroom for years but now I am editing video using Davinci Resolve on a highly speced gaming laptop. When creative cloud is running davinci resolve cannot render even unadjusted 4K footage at full speed. When I quit creative cloud it can run fully color-adjusted at full speed even with 10 Chrome tabs open, and Acrobat and Lightroom running at the same time. What I do now is close creative cloud and Lightroom seems to run fine. As far as I can see Lightroom is running fine with Creative Cloud closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Andrew Hall, I have Adobe Creative Cloud installed and I remain sign in but do not have the app running. I just open when I need to check on the apps or install / update. Just do not exit or sign out.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reinstalled Windows and I am so NOT looking forward to install this unnecessary bloatware into my new system.
The more I think about it, the more I hate it (Lightroom User since ~15 years btw.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just reinstalled Windows and I am so NOT looking forward to install this unnecessary bloatware into my new system.
The more I think about it, the more I hate it (Lightroom User since ~15 years btw.)

By @moritzw

Adiós, now we can all move on to the task of the forums; assisting other Adobe customers/users. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines