• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit images in Lightroom Classic without Raw files?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!
My client says that her previous editor was able to edit her images with only the lightroom catalog.
However when I open her catalog I am unable to edit with the raw files. 
Is it really possible to edit her lightroom catalog without her raw files and if so, how do it do it?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! If the originals/Raw files are not available then it's possible to edit the images using smart previews of the images if they have been generated. If your client was sharing the smart previews with the previous editor instead of the Raw files, it would have been possible for the editor to edit the images & share the catalog back.

For more info on how to work with smart previews, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-smart-previews.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your client needs to Export a Catalog WITH Smart Previews and supply you with both.

The Smart Previews do not have to be created prior to the Catalog Export as they can be created in the [Export as a Catalog...] dialog- See the options- which will create what you need all in one master folder.

2021-07-10 09_25_31-Export as Catalog.jpg

With both the {Catalog to Edit.LRCAT} and {Catalog to Edit SMART PREVIEWS.LRDATA} in the folder you receive you can simply 'open' this catalog and edit.

You only need to send {Catalog to Edit.LRCAT} back to your client as the Catalog contains all your edit work.

One limitation is that you cannot [Edit in Photoshop]. This would require the full-size "Negative files".

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines