• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export suggested Location Metadata automatically? (LR 9.4 Classic)

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Map module of LR9.4 Classic at Win1064bit for Auto-taging my photos with the GPS coordinates by GPX Tracklog files.

Also I have activated the Catalog Setting „Look up city, state and country of GPS coordinates to provide address suggestions“.

For the export from my DNG files to JPG I activated the Catalog Setting „Export address suggestions whenever address fields are empty“ as well as the Export Setting „Include All MetaData“ in the Pull down menu.

Also I deactivated the Export Setting „Remove Location Info“.

But the suggested Location Metadata (city, state and country) are NOT included in the Export file!

Why? (Only the GPS Coordinates are included.)

(If I save manually the suggestions then are the Location Metadata (city, state and country) within the export file.)

This must be a BUG. Otherwise the Catalog Setting „Export address suggestions whenever address fields are empty“ makes no sense.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think its a bug, specifically, but in my opinion, and the opinion of many people, this is very poor (even horrendous) design. It's kind of useless if you are geotagging thousands of photos, you really can't manually confirm the location metadata of thousands of photos.

So, at least on Windows, I recommend a freeware program called GeoSetter to determine lat/long and location data and save it to the files (or sidecar .xmp files in the case of RAW originals). Then read these metadata into Lightroom Classic with Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

Now, this issue you are having in Lightroom Classic goes away. Whatever metadata is created by GeoSetter (lat/long, location names) is stored in Lightroom Classic's database and if you so desire, exported from Lightroom Classic.

For this to work, I believe you have to turn on the Lightroom Classic option to automatically write changes to XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I tested the exported files online on iptc.org again.

It seems to be rather a different problem.

Anyway, the plugin "Mogrify 2" apparently can't recognize the XMP-IPTC fields if
the location still has the status "suggested".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to detect any relationship of your second message to the first message. Seems like you are talking about something completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[…] “I am unable to detect any relationship of your second message“ […]

1.) Plugin "Mogrify 2":
This plugin is implemented on my system as a post-process action. The location metadata is intended to be printed as text on an added outer Border.

2.) iptc.org:
I used the iptc.org web service to check the IPTC data.

The problem seems to be the order of all post-processing. LR will only add the suggested location data to the JPG file after "Mogrify 2" has been completed. So „Mogrify 2“ has no chance to get the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines