• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export XMP only from LR4

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've generated develop settings in LR4 for a sizeable image database broken into folders by day and operator. I wish to share only those develop settings, not the images they relate to, this to avoid having to upload to my client the image files themselves, as he already has them, is simply needing the develop settings. I thought I could export XMPs that if placed next to the corresponding images on my client's end, would show up in LR with the same develop settings on my end. Not possible?

I'm only seeing an option to export catalog, which copies the DNGs, am aware I first have to save metadata to file. Any options?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Ah. Yeah with DNGs and that option check the edits get written directly to the DNG file in a special section.

Then your only option is to export a catalog, without images, and send the catalog file to your client.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images are RAW (and not JPG or TIF or DNG) then you should be able to select the images, press Ctrl-S and XMP files will be created or updated.

If the images are JPG, TIF or DNG, then Lightroom does not create separate XMP files, and the editing information is stored in the photo files themselves (not in a separate XMP file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Is Ctrl-S assuming Windows? I'm aware Command-S on Mac writes the metadata to file, and mine are RAW DNGs, but that doesn't get me there, desire only the lightweight XMP files containing my develop settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR will not create xmp files for DNG files. You might be able to use the freeware ExifTool to create the needed XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, found something that works and not requiring sidecar XMPs, which you're right, ExifTool would get me there. If I export Catalog per folder and disable Export negative files, I can open the first catalog, it retains the path to the full-res files, but only locally of course, so my client would have to preserve the same folder structure or possibly do something to help LR find the updated paths. The catalog also records all the develop settings. My client opens the first catalog file, then uses File> Import from Another Catalog... preserving folders and subfolders, thus growing the same master catalog structure I have. I'm good, but thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you need to do is Copy the XMP file so the client can download them and then place them in the same folder as the images.

Then in LR he would need to click the Exclamation mark and select Import settings from disk. That will update the images to your settings.

If he doesn't have LR, or Bridge/ACR, then nothing you do with the XMP file will carry over the edits you have made to whatever program he is using to view them.

The XMP files are only good when viewing the images in LR or Bridge/ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks. My export Catalog workflow may yet be the simpler route, but I'd like to understand your workflow as well. I'm reading literally, so forgive me, but if I select an image in LR, RMB-click> Metadata Presets> Copy Metadata... a window pops up displaying all the related fields, haven't heard you add anything at this point regarding what happens here, click okay, I'm left wondering how you get to my client downloading the XMP. I searched in the directory, didn't expect that loading something into memory could result in an XMP file being written out next to the image. Thanks for a bit more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No use a File Manager to do the Copying of the XMP files. Windows File Explorer, Mac Finder.

Does the client have the same version of LR? If they don't have the same version they will not be able to open the exported catalog.

Normally the newer version of LR updates the catalog file, and an exported catalog would be the same type of file, that older versions of LR can't read.

So if they are using even one version previous to what you are using the client won't be able to open that catalog you send them.

Also they might have to relink the images unless they are stored on the exact same drive letter, Windows, or Name, Mac, and in the same folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the option in the Catalog Setting dialog to Auto Write changes to XMP checked every time you make an edit to an image it get written to the catalog file and to the sidecar XMP file.

If you have a bunch of images that you have edited and you don't have XMP sidecar files for them then they were edited without that option check. But if you select all of them and to a Ctrl + s it will write those edits to an XMP SC file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the option in Catalog Settings to Automatically write changes into XMP, follow everything you say about how the XMPs behave, ow they're updated whenever I make changes in Develop. What confused me with "copy XMP" and confuses me still is no longer how this looks inside RL, see you talking at the system level in my directory, copying the XMPs from there. The problem is, my image folder only contains DNGs, there are no XMPs to copy. I'm asking how I create the XMPs per folder of images to begin with.

My export of catalogs is yet viable, I believe, not the case here that my LR version is newer than there's, to the contrary, but will they be able to open catalogs written from legacy versions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Yeah with DNGs and that option check the edits get written directly to the DNG file in a special section.

Then your only option is to export a catalog, without images, and send the catalog file to your client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that makes sense. This exposes my not understanding DNGs. I'm aware my native Sony ARW files being RAW aren't recognized by my version of LR, so generates the DNGs. If I had the newer LR version that allowed native import of ARWs, how and when would the XMPs be generated?, allowing me to copy them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the client using the same version of LR?

If he is using an older version than you he will not be able to open the catalog you send him.

If he is using a newer version it will convert a copy of the catalog you send him and if he sends that catalog file back to you you won't be able to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, we covered that, my version is older, was asking if they can open from legacy-written catalogs, so that's now answered. I'm yet wondering how the XMPs get generated, if having the newer LR version supports importing native ARW and if that somehow enables somehow creating these XMPs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A XMP sidecar file get created, generated, "IF" you have that option checked and you are working with Proprietary RAW files.

If your version of LR worked with the native ARW files then you would see a XMP sidecar file for each image file you edited.

But DNG, JPG and TIFF files have a special area of the image file for storing edits that would normally generate a XMP file.

Yes the newest version of LR, LR Classic CC V7.1, supports all currently available cameras.

And YES if you were working with the native ARW files you would see a XMP sidecar file. IF that option is checked in the catalog settings dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, got it, very clear. I do appreciate you time, many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines