Highlighted

How to export your desktop presets as DNG for the Mobile Version?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. So I am about to create presets for the lightroom Desktop as well as for LR CC (mobile). As far as I know these will be  XMP files when exporting. But for the Mobile users they'll need DNG files correct? So how can I do this? Do I have import these into LR CC on my laptop first?...

Thanks!!

Topics

Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to export your desktop presets as DNG for the Mobile Version?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. So I am about to create presets for the lightroom Desktop as well as for LR CC (mobile). As far as I know these will be  XMP files when exporting. But for the Mobile users they'll need DNG files correct? So how can I do this? Do I have import these into LR CC on my laptop first?...

Thanks!!

Topics

Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For mobile- The DNG file is simply any photo that acts as a 'carrier' for the editing metadata.

To make a 'DNG' preset, with an un-edited file in Lr-Classic you would apply a Preset in Develop, then export the file as a DNG. The Mobile App would then save a Preset (extract the develop edits) from the DNG.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC

Thanks for your reply. The thing is: I want to be able to save presets as DNG (in a zip folder). So please can download it and import them directly into the App on their phone. Sorry maybe I misunderstood your answer, but I just dont get it ;/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*people (not please)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow is-

You:  (In Lr-Classic)

1) Develop a photo that has been [Reset]

2) Apply a selected Preset.   (Example-  a B&W TINT  Preset applied) 

ScreenShot019.jpgScreenShot020.jpg

3) Export the photo as a DNG file-type.  (Give it a filename to indicate the Preset -eg. B&W TINT.dng)

Now you have a DNG file with the Preset embedded in the metadata.

You can combine multiple DNG files in a ZIP file to supply, but the Client will first have to extract them from the ZIP as individual photo files. I have no experience with ZIP files on mobile devices- sorry!

Client:  The other person (In Lr-Mobile,  iPhone, iPad, etc)

1) 'Adds' [+] (Imports) the DNG file to Lr-Mobile. The photo you used for the DNG will appear in the library as 'Recently added'.

(Example screen-clip is from Lr-Desktop)

ScreenShot021.jpg

2) Client 'opens' the photo in the Edit window and immediately opens the Preset panel, clicks the *** icon to [Create Preset]

ScreenShot018.jpg

3) Client can use the filename of the DNG for the Preset that is saved.

ScreenShot017.jpg

The Preset is now available to apply to other photos in Lr-Mobile.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helped a lot. Thank you so much 🙂

Maybe you could know the answer for another issue that just popped-up.

I am using 2 different camera types, Nikon Z6 (mirrorless) and a D850 (dslr). When I am opening a picture in LR with the Z6 I automatically have a color profil called "camera standard v2".

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-17 um 17.13.56.png

When I open a picture with the d850 I have the color profil "camera standard". So when I create a preset on a Z6 picture, and I want to apply it on a d850 picture, it says "profil not found" and the preset on the left basically turns "grey" and "italic", which means, I can't use it, and also not export it etc..

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-17 um 17.17.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-17 um 17.17.05.png

But the problem is....with a Z6 picture I only have the "camera standard v2" profil. I dont have an option to chose "camera standard".

Any idea how to solve this? Andy, yes, I do have the most recent lightroom update.

THANK YOU!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a preset- leave the Treatment & Profile box unchecked.

ScreenShot004.jpg

A quote from the forum thread in the link below-

"In general, if the preset/profile is based on a camera model specific DCP then the preset will not show up for other images."

! Presets including raw profiles are sometimes available for non-raws, sometimes not | Photoshop Fam...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that helped! Perfect.

One last question (I'm sorry, terrible at technial stuff). When I export all the photos as DNGs..the files are huge. I wanted to compress them as a ZIP file but the File Size stays exactly that big. I need to be able to send small files to my customers and not like 80mb big.

Do you have experience with that as well? 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tests indicate you can use any size file to have a Preset transported in a DNG file, and it does not need to be a raw format.

My test-

1) Select a small JPG file in Lightroom-Classic

ScreenShot017.jpg

It is 150Kb in Lightroom. Better than 80Mb 😉

ScreenShot018.jpg

2) Develop the photo and apply the Preset (Antique )

3) Export AS A DNG (it only increases in size very slightly)

ScreenShot019.jpg

4) Import this DNG file to Lightroom-Desktop

ScreenShot016.jpg

5) Now to immediately save the Preset.

I just presume that the editing steps preserved in the Preset will simply transfer in the DNG.

I do NOT know how camera profiles will affect anything in this process.

But- If a Lr-Classic Preset was specific for a raw image with a Camera Profile, then it would not work on a JPG anyway! (The Preset would be greyed out in the Lr-Classic Preset panel)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that makes more sense 🙂 So I imported a Jpeg that is only 134kb, applied the preset and exported as DNG. Funnily, the size increased to 450kb. So it did increase the file size quite a lot. Did you use certain settings? These are my settings (sorry it's in German), but it's the normal default settings when exportings as dng:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-23 um 12.50.18.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG is lossy compressed, in your DNG export settings you did not choose that option. That makes it logical that the DNG will be larger.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes because I don't want it to lose quality. I just wanted to be sure.

But with 10 presets, I would be at 4.5MB, which is still fine to send via email I would say.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably are, but if the purpose of these DNGs is just being a 'carrier' of XMP presets, then the quality of the DNGs is irrelevant anyway.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the quality of the DNGs is irrelevant anyway.

Agree!

And for the OP -an idea for the preset "carrier" file-

ScreenShot039.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wobert

Remember the tip you gave me to leave "treatment & Profile" unchecked when creating preset? But so now another issue appears. I also have 2 B&W presets in my pack. In order to get the pictures B&W I need to keep the "treatment & Profile" box checked, anotherwise it will stay on "color". But then when applying a "color preset", it will remain B&W because with color presets I have the box unchecked.

Also, what's confusing is, when I look into older presets I bought in the past....when I use these and switch back and forthe from B&W to colored ones...it workes perfectly fine, but the "treatment & Profile" box seems to be unchecked as well. So how can this work then? Also, when applying B&W presets from others...the profile jumps to "Adobe Standard S/W" (see printscreen below). But when I reset the photo...I only see "Adobe MONOCHROM", but no "Adobe Standard S/W". Could that be the problem?...

My Adobe Profiles:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 15.47.44.png

Adobe Profile when applying external b&w presets:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-05 um 16.00.02.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "tip" was meant only to avoid specific camera profiles - I understand "treatment & Profile" can be checked in the Preset if the Profile set is NOT specific to a camera.

ie. you can check T&P if using a general Adobe Profile. eg. the Adobe B&Ws.

My Example- 

I created a Preset (Untitled Preset 6) from a raw file using a Camera Matching Profile (monochrome). T&P was checked on.

When editing a JPG file- this Preset is NOT available in Classic!

ScreenShot111.jpg

"Older Presets" ? Now your questions are getting above my "pay grade" 🙂 I don't really have an answer, and everything changed when Classic 7.3 converted to XMP from the LRTEMPLATE presets.

(Maybe- An 'old' Preset may use desaturation to achieve Monochrome while still using a 'color' profile.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines