• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix error from editing photo from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop element

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new with using Lightroom Classic (9.1 version).

I was looking at the tutorial on how to edit photo in Photoshop element from lightroom. seemed easy, you click Photo, edit in, the PS Element is there.

Once it opens Photoshop element (19), it gets me that error code : 

Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file.

Can anyone help?

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the error you are getting while trying to move the images from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop Elements 2019.

Would you mind sharing the operating system you are working on? Please go to the "Preferences" of Lightroom Classic, then "External Editor" and check the settings like file format, color space, etc. It would be helpful if you could share a screenshot of the error and the preferences window. Also, what is the format of the images and which camera were they clicked from?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im operating a MacBook Pro with MacOS Majave V.10.14.6

Lightroom Classic 9.1 Release with Camera Raw 12.1 and Photoshop element 2019 (17.0)

My Camera is a CANON Rebel sl2 and I work with RAW file.

here are the screen shots :

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_37c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_37d.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a little confused by your screen-clip of the Preferences!

1) It shows your primary editor as "Photoshop"- So do you have the full-version of Photoshop installed on your computer? Or did you ever install it in the past, to have it show as the primary editor? If "Photoshop" is not installed then I would expect to see '...Elements' as the primary editor.

2) In the [Additional External Editor] panel it shows that you have chosen "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019". TBMK you should be choosing  "Adobe Photoshop Elements EDITOR 2019" from your applications. (See the link below. Note the subtle difference of name).  Then make a Preset of this choice (rather than leave it as "Custom").

Any "Additional External Editor" will not open by the shortcut [Cmd+E]-  Instead [Right-Click/Ctrl-click] and choose the Preset from the contextual menu.

https://lightroomkillertips.com/the-secret-to-getting-photoshop-elements-to-work-with-lightroom/

It may be possible that the Preference settings are throwing up the (mis-diagnosed) error "does not recognize this type of file."

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a Lightroom Classic v9.1 installed. So, that means you have subscribed to an Adobe Photography plan, and as such, have rights to install Photoshop (full)

Why are you trying to edit in Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another inquiry. In your copy of Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, have you installed/updated Photoshop?

Note this will also update Adobe Camera RAW.

And while asking abou that, just in case, In your Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, is an update of Adobe Camera RAW lingering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for both of your comment, I didn't use the complete Photoshop just because I am use to the elements version, but I will check it out and see if it fix the problem and will post to update.

Also regarding your last comment, there was only one update available for lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I was refering to an update for Photoshop, and then just in case for Adobe Camera RAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point davidg36166309!  is an update of Adobe Camera RAW lingering?

I believe that Ps-Elements (now at version 2020) uses it own 'limited' version of Adobe Camera Raw. (Gurus can contradict me!)

So a 'not so recent' version of Ps-Elements (v19) may not have the Camera Raw version that can interpret (open) the raw files from Lightroom.

I am not even knowing if the full Photoshop Camera Raw (12.2.0.386) is used by Ps-Elements!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentaly

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/troubleshoot-camera-raw-photoshop-photoshop.html

Anf from step 1, what is your version of Adobe Camera RAW as Elements reports it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will look into this. right now the Camera RAW version installed as plug in is : 11.1.0.112

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHHHHH

see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

so, Elements 2019, Camera RAW 11.4 at best.

And see this: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

so, Canon Rebel SL2, requires Camera RAW 9.12, should have been Ok.

So much for my AhHa moment.. Worst you should have received was having to run a conversion within Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for your help yesterday, although it did not fix the problem with Photoshop element opening my files directly from Lightroom, you kind of reminded me that with my suscription plan included the full photoshop, so I have downloaded it and will learn to use that version, which works perfectly when exchanging picture from LR to PS.

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines