• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Get a full resolution photo from LR Classic to LR iPad

Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have my Cloud Storage to only download Smart Previews, in order to save space on my iPad.  However, occasionally I need access to the full-resolution version from LRC on my Mac. Is there a way to 'get' the full resolution version from LRC - presumably by pushing/syncing that to the Cloud, while keeping my settings as Smart Previews for all other photos?

Michael - Lightroom user since 2006.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

You are confusing a few things. When you say "I currently have my Cloud Storage to only download Smart Previews, in order to save space on my iPad", that probably means that you have set this option on the iPad. Setting this on the iPad only influences what happens on the iPad, not what happens in the cloud. Whether or not you have originals in the cloud depends on how the images got there:

1: Any image that is synced from Lightroom Classic to the cloud is a smart preview.

2: If you import a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

"As I mentioned in my original question, I am using LrC on my Mac, not the desktop version (which as I understand is called "Lightroom")"

Thank you for the clarification. As I understand it, at least from my point of reference, whenever someone refers to Lightroom Desktop, I think of the cloud version of Lightroom which is version 3.4 currently. Since you are referring to Lightroom Classic, there is no way to send a full-sized image from it to the cloud. That's all there is to it. If you have

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to do this outside of the mechanisms in Lightroom Classic and associated cloud storage. You could simply export the full size image, upload it to DropBox (or similar service) and then download it on your iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Appreciate your response. Yes, that's what I've been doing so far, simply using AirDrop. I was rather hoping for a solution within the LR system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not from LrC. That is how it is designed. It is possible to transfer full sized images FROM the mobile device TO LrC, but only smart previews can go from Classic to the cloud. If you want full-sized images in the cloud then you either must use a mobile device or Lightroom Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! We may be saying the same thing. I'm using Lightroom Classic. Is that the same as Lightroom Desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic. Is that the same as Lightroom Desktop?

No.

Lightroom-Desktop is the 'Cloud based' mobile version that will work on a Windows-PC or Mac-OS.

ScreenShot528.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, if I upload a RAW file from my Camera directly to LR iPad (on a new iPad Pro), then that same RAW file will both in Adobe Cloud and on LR Classic on my Mac.  I believe this because after uploading directly from my camera to LR iPad, I can see the RAW file moments later on my Mac, both in LR Classic and of course in the folder system as confirmed via Finder.  So unless the Cloud is just being used as a conduit - which I doubt - then RAW files imported from a mobile device will indeed be stored in the Cloud.

If that is the case, is it only possible to have RAW files that have been imported via mobile devices, stored in the Cloud?  And not possible to move or copy a RAW file from LR Classic to the Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We might have a misunderstanding of terminology here. You mentioned, "Lightroom Desktop". That is a name that is associated with the desktop version of Lightroom for the cloud. For that desktop version, we need to know the exact version number you are using. In the menu system go to the help menu and click on the About option and tell us what the exact version number is that you are using. If you are using the cloud version then it is sending the full-sized images to your mobile device because that is what is being sent to the cloud. So before we hypothesize about what is really happening on your system, we need to know what version you are referring to as Lightroom Desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks  for responding. As I mentioned in my original question, I am using LrC on my Mac, not the desktop version (which as I understand is called "Lightroom")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are confusing a few things. When you say "I currently have my Cloud Storage to only download Smart Previews, in order to save space on my iPad", that probably means that you have set this option on the iPad. Setting this on the iPad only influences what happens on the iPad, not what happens in the cloud. Whether or not you have originals in the cloud depends on how the images got there:

1: Any image that is synced from Lightroom Classic to the cloud is a smart preview.

2: If you import a raw image from a camera directly to the iPad, then you will get an original in the cloud. After the original has been uploaded from the iPad to the cloud, the copy on the iPad is replaced by a smart preview (because of the iPad settings).

3: If you add a raw image from a camera to Lightroom desktop, then again you will get a full size raw image in the cloud.

If you need to replace a smart preview in the cloud (synced by Lightroom Classic) by a full sized original, then you can do this by adding that image to Lightroom desktop on your computer. Make sure you add the original image, from the location where Lightroom Classic has it catalogued. Do not copy the image, nor export the image 'as original' from Lightroom Classic. If you add the image to Lightroom desktop, then the Lightroom ecosystem is clever enough to recognise the image as the original that belongs to the smart preview that was already uploaded, and so it will replace the smart preview.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I was confused by the terminology "Lightroom Desktop" because the version I have is called "Lightroom."

The process makes sense and I think it's good to only store RAW files locally while syncing Smart Previews to all devices.  There are some UX issues with the current setup - for example, in some views, my photo is labeled as "ARW" (Sony's raw format) even though it is a SmartPreview. I learned that this is only to inform me that the original is an ARW file, but that is not obvious to the user and it's also not easily discoverable nor can it easily be learned.  For the time being, I'm trying out LR iPad to understand how the mobile/non-LRC workflow works.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As I mentioned in my original question, I am using LrC on my Mac, not the desktop version (which as I understand is called "Lightroom")"

Thank you for the clarification. As I understand it, at least from my point of reference, whenever someone refers to Lightroom Desktop, I think of the cloud version of Lightroom which is version 3.4 currently. Since you are referring to Lightroom Classic, there is no way to send a full-sized image from it to the cloud. That's all there is to it. If you have Lightroom (version 3.4) installed on a computer it is possible to send full-sized images to the cloud using that version. And when you do, that full-sized version can sync back down to the other computer running Lightroom Classic. But there is no provision to go the other way. As far as I'm aware (being only a user with no connection to the Adobe company) that isn't going to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Yes, I do have Lightroom ("desktop") installed, as well as Lightroom Classic.  It's clear that the Cloud and mobile versions are trying to introduce a new a simplified workflow for the average photographer and I think they've done a good job. In my experience, Adobe does a pretty good job of listening to their core user group; the only question for them is, have they changed their definition of who that group is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that there are many users of Lightroom who feel that many features have been taken away from the program. This is not true because Lightroom (the cloud version) has been developed from the very beginning as a new  application, not a revision of the "old" Lightroom which is now Lightroom Classic. And that group of Lightroom users are expecting every feature that is in Classic to be available in Lightroom and Seemingly won't be satisfied until there is total parity between the two programs. And I don't know when/if that will ever be, probably not for quite some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I suspect much of the concern is around how Lightroom Cloud (or whatever they are calling it) is getting new features, whereas LrC is not.  So that may be sowing seeds of concern about if/when LrC will be EOL'd.  That is one reason why I have been trying out the workflows of the various Cloud versions.  This is off-topic but actually as someone who integrates iPhone photos into my daily workflow, I like that I can automatically have all of my iPhone photos appear in all platform versions of Lightroom, automatically.  If I try to manually import iPhone photos to LrC via Lightning, it takes far too long to pull up the previews on the import screen, because I have so many photos on my iPhone. That of course is a bug but my workaround is to just use LR on my iPhone to sync the photos to the Cloud.  Now if only the HEIC problem could be solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC does appear to be getting new features; for example the Color Grading panel. Honestly I am not that familiar with LR (LR Desktop / Cloud / Mobile) because I only use it on my iPad for basic workflow such as rating, croping, and initial adjustments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that there's a bit of confusion between the various lightroom versions, as they are often confused or exchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it interesting that you suggest that LrC is not receiving any new features or is not being updated. I find that it has advanced just as much as Lightroom in recent updates. I don't see any indication of LrC coming to the end of its life. I don't use any other utilities such as Lightning, and when I take images with my iPhone those images will automatically go to Lightroom (for the cloud), and when I get home to my computer that has LrC images are available on it as well.

I don't like to edit on the iPhone, and I prefer LrC to Lightroom. I occasionally do a little touchup in Lightroom, but LrC is my program of choice for most of my work. Personally, I would be extremely disappointed if Lightroom Classic was discontinued. I'm at a point, however, were I don't plan on upgrading cameras anymore. So if Classic does come to the end of its lifecycle I will just ride it out until I can't use it anymore before I have to resort to Photoshop/Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, does it mean that Lr iPad Albums cannot Store Locally full resolution images? Because when I de-select Smart Previews the Sync process would be stuck after 20 or so pictures. I tried clearing the cache, restarting the ipad.. None works.. Aside from selecting Smart Preview after which the download would resume. 

I actually got the 1TB iPad Pro so that I can always have full resolution photos with me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, the iPad should be able to store originals locally too. As long as they exist in the cloud, of course.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope.. It would just stuck at Sync forever unless I select Smart Previews. I even tried creating smaller sized Albums of 20 or so photos (instead of thousands.) 

Just tried to do the same on LR for Android.. Full resolution downloaded from LR Cloud no problem.. Anyway just fyi. 

Have a great week everyone! 

Anyway 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines