• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of the grid overlay

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when I do a crop or a lens correction, the grid won't go away after I completed the action. I can sometimes get it away by clicking on a few tools, but other times I have to restart Lightroom to get rid of it. Is there an easy solution for this?

PS: I don't mean the loupe grid option.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the "cropping grid"?

Push escape to get out of the current active tools.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think it's the cropping grid. Pressing Escape does not work to get rid of it.

I found that the first time I use vertical adjustment, the grid does not go away. However when I use vertical adjustment for a second or third time, the grid goes away after I complete the action.

I also just discovered that the grid will go away when I hover with my mouse over the histogram That's a good workaround for something I begin to think is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Escape, Button DONE or Button CLOSE should do the affair.

What about posting the LR and OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The grid overlay behavior for the Crop tool and the Transform panel are independent of each other, so you handle them separately.

For the Crop tool, whether the overlay displays or not depends on the setting that you see in the Tool Overlay option in the toolbar below the image. If you don't see a toolbar below the image, choose View > Show Toolbar (or press its toggle shortcut, the T key). Tool Overlay can be set to Auto, Always, or Never. Auto means it only shows up while you're dragging the crop rectangle.

For the Transform panel, the grid overlay is controlled by two things. One is whether you are holding the pointer over any of the Transform sliders. If you are, then the overlay appears. When you move the pointer away, it disappears. When you said "the grid will go away when I hover with my mouse over the histogram…" It's not a workaround, that's the way it's supposed to work. The grid went away because you stopped hovering over any Transform slider, not because you hovered over the histogram specifically.

The second thing that affects the Transform panel is the Tool Overlay setting (Tools > Tool Overlay submenu). This is one thing that the Crop tool and the Transform panel have in common: If you don't want the grid to appear, choose Tools > Tools Overlay > Never Show (or press its toggle shortcut, the H key).

What you observed seems to be explainable by how the program normally works and you have control over it; it doesn't look like there's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop grid stays, depending on your settings, as long as the crop tool is available. Switching to other tools or closing the crop tool should get rid of the grid.

For the transform panel, the grid shows when I hover over the transform sliders. I do not know of a possibility to get a persistent grid with the transform tool as described by the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

The crop grid stays, depending on your settings, as long as the crop tool is available. Switching to other tools or closing the crop tool should get rid of the grid.

No, even if the crop tool remains fully active, pressing the H shortcut will hide the grid overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why "depending" is for! "H" toggles "Always" and "Never"! It's not working by hovering sliders in contrast to the transform-tool-sliders.

The OP, however, says that hovering the histogram gets rid of the grid. I cannot reproduce this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I have been at a loss to find any interface option on-screen to get LR Classic to stop showing a grid when I'm working with the transform sliders -- and the grid has been so dense that it's actually made it harder to see what I was doing. No checkbox for this anywhere, though I seem to remember there used to be; but pressing 'H' is what I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying some more I now realise that this is a rare finding

But I can now reproduce it:

1. open a photo in the develop module
  2. go to Transform, select Vertical (click on the value not the slider) and change it a little using the cursor keys
  3. carefully move the mouse upwards and to the left and click on the Transform panel before the Vertical slider
  4. the grid is fixed and won’t go away with escape or clicking on crop

I have the grid overlay set to Automatic.

I have Lightroom 2015.10.1 running on an iMac with MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines