• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a selection of images in Lightroom Classic from a list of filenames?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I use Lightroom Classic 10.2. With macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 on a 2019 16" MBP.

This is my workflow. I import the photos in lightroom Classic. And then export them to JPG using the original filenames (series, that i always reset back to 0000). 

I have a workflow where i give my clients a wetransfer with all the low res JPG's. And they download it and make their own selection by giving me a chronological list of filenames of the images they want. They sent me this via email.

Then i paste the list in notes app and edit them in Lightroom Classic and check them off one by one in a chronological order as i go.

However i was wondering if there is a way. Whereas the list of filenames that they give me.

I could somehow input in Lightroom Classic so that i only see the clients selection? 

The goal is not having to scroll through the photos anymore to find the right filename, thus the according image that i need to edit. 

Thanks for your time and energy.

Kind regards

Sam

samtang.be

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy the file names (or file numbers) from your e-mail, then in Lightroom Classic, open the Filter Bar, click on text, select Filename, paste list into the Filter Bar

2021-04-29 06_02_55-Lightroom v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

To build on dj_paige's answer, be sure that the filenames are separated by spaces or commas, as shown in his screenshot -- if you copy from a list with each filename on a separate line, it won't work.  Also, if the filenames themselves contain spaces, it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

To build on correct answers from @dj_paige and @johnrellis 

SOme more details from my notes-

SEARCH FROM A LIST OF FILENAMES

To find a large selection of images from a text list you need to follow a set procedure-

Note: It does not work if there are spaces in filenames!

Lightroom-Classic needs access to all images that may be in the list- Click on ‘All Photographs’ in the Library Catalog  panel- left of screen, (or select the folder where all the searched images are known to exist), then-

1. E

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the file names (or file numbers) from your e-mail, then in Lightroom Classic, open the Filter Bar, click on text, select Filename, paste list into the Filter Bar

2021-04-29 06_02_55-Lightroom v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi man

i'm gonna try it! thanks!! 

I'll keep you posted.

sam 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on dj_paige's answer, be sure that the filenames are separated by spaces or commas, as shown in his screenshot -- if you copy from a list with each filename on a separate line, it won't work.  Also, if the filenames themselves contain spaces, it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To build on correct answers from @dj_paige and @johnrellis 

SOme more details from my notes-

SEARCH FROM A LIST OF FILENAMES

To find a large selection of images from a text list you need to follow a set procedure-

Note: It does not work if there are spaces in filenames!

Lightroom-Classic needs access to all images that may be in the list- Click on ‘All Photographs’ in the Library Catalog  panel- left of screen, (or select the folder where all the searched images are known to exist), then-

1. Edit your Client's list in a text editor (MS-Word or Notepad, etc) so that the list of file-names are separated by commas or spaces and delete all Paragraph markers. (This is the time-consuming part!)

WobertC_6-1619739134850.jpeg

1. Select this list by high-lighting only the text characters with the mouse.

WobertC_8-1619739134854.jpeg

1. COPY the text list to the clip-board. [CTRL-C] or Right-click > Copy

1. In Lightroom-Classic:  Menu > Library > Find,  [CTRL+F]

or Click "Text" on the Library filter bar, and set it to- Filename / Contains.

1. Click in the Search box and paste the list [CTRL+V]  or Right-click > Paste

You will see all the listed images by Filename that can be then added to a Standard Collection.

Select all [CTRL+A], Click the Collection Panel [+], Check ‘add selected images’.

WobertC_10-1619739134855.jpeg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines